Spidi RR Leather Jacket Review

Guest revengel

Guest revengel

First I apologize for not having pictures of my personal jacket, but this is the jacket in question:

spidi_rr_bianco.jpg

I'm 6'5", slender and bought a size 54. The cut is 'European' so if your slender like me you'll find it fits great! If you have a touch of extra "you" to love then you may find it a tad tight to rather tight. The build quality is great & it comes with CE armor in the arms and shoulders (but not the back). A back protector can be purchaced - as can a chest protector - and the jacket is equipped to accept them quite nicely.

Comfort: I found it to be very comfy during rides and I was surprised that it didn't constrict my movements. Once you're in your riding position (bear in mind I'm on a VFR) you're set! The dark portions of the above jacket are a Kevlar weave & they give just enough so that you don't feel constricted. It does hug you however. Beneath/behind the shoulders the jacket is gusseted to allow for further movement - a system that works quite well. Pockets are slim and not designed to carry anything bulky; if you have a wallet & keys you've got plenty of room. This is not the kind of jacket where you can stash a can of chain lube or anything of the like but that's not what this is designed for...so keep that in mind.

The liner that comes with it seems thick enough for chilly (but not cold) weather. I've not had the chance to try it out...so I can't vouch for it personally.

Construction: It's made from 1.4mm(?) competition leather with Kevlar panels - so it's not just garment leather that looks good. It's tough stuff and will do a great job of protecting you until it reaches its limit. How do I know? Long story short - I was pinned between The Knight Saber & a stacked stone wall for the better part of 50+ yards. The damage to the bike was minimal (lost a mirror and only a few scratches on the faring!) while the stone wall eventually worked it's way through the leather *and* Kevlar before it scratched my arm. That's right, scratched. Basically the jacket/my arm took the brunt of the damage along with my knee (which was not wearing leather - I'm still trying to get a set of good leather pants in my size) but most of it truly was taken on by my shoulder...and therefore my jacket. It's being restored as we speak to competition strength.

The cost of this jacket can be pricey - you're looking at the $600.00 range (or a bit below) - but as someone who bought that jacket and *two days later* needed it? That jacket did it's job and then some.

My current jacket is a Fieldsheer Textile armored jacket (Mach 2) and it's groovy, but it's not in the same category.

Thank you & I hope this helps anyone considering this (or any other) leather jacket.

Revengel

• Member Contributer

I almost bought the 2008 or 2009 version of this on New Enough at very good discount....kinda wish I had now so I could swap it with m Dianese.

Good review, glad that the jacket took the brunt of the damage instead of you.

I almost bought the 2008 or 2009 version of this on New Enough at very good discount....kinda wish I had now so I could swap it with m Dianese.

Good review, glad that the jacket took the brunt of the damage instead of you.

Thanks. I'll do reviews of the other things I wear & use - if for no other reason than to give folks something else to read.

:)

Archived