Cheap GPS alternative with tank bag mounting

samaki

I ride a 4th gen and have wanted a GPS for some time for those occasional long trips but could not justify the cost since I can read a map most of the time, plus I could not find a place to mount it without obstructing my instruments, since I ride with a tank bag on 100% of the time. Tomtom rider to the rescue with remanufactured units available for $70 on ebay (from zkarlo) with a little patience. This includes a 12 and 110 volt power cable and a USB cable and it is fully loaded with maps and ready to go. The Rider is a simple to use touch screen that takes all the complexity out of a GPS, and it is weatherproof.

I fabricated a mounting pad using .032 aluminum and secured it to my tank bag using three snaps (available at Ace or Lowes in a kit) onto the front of the tank bag and a velcro strip on the map cover of the bag. The GPS then mounts very securely to the pad with velcro. I disassembled the 12 volt power supply and soldered in a wiring harness with a two pin quick disconnect connector which connects to the bike power via a relay that is energized when the key is turned on. The reassembled 12 volt transformer fits into a tank bag pocket and is out of sight.

In total I have less than $80 in my GPS and am pleased with it's useability. If you have been wondering where to mount your GPS that you got for fathers day, you might give this a try.

P1020940.jpg

P1020941.jpg

P1020943.jpg

• Member Contributer

Good Job :laughing6-hehe: , I did mine on the windscreen, since I use my tank bag as my briefcase, it lives in my top box for transporting.

.gallery_8073_5169_231484.jpg

IMG_0072.JPG

Archived