Decal Removal, 6th GEN, PAINT REPAIR

PACIFICMAN

Well, a warning to any 6th Gen owners looking to remove the "Interceptor" decal from the rear flank. The decal is Indeed painted in. Contrary to the consensus advice received from my last thread "Decal Removal, 6th GEN"

The decal(s) is(are) covered with the clear coat, at least on my 2002 Italian Red VFR. I now have an "Interceptor" shaped, dull, non clear coated indentation on the rear cowl. Any ideas? The WD-40 worked great by the way...

• Member Contributer

Man, that blows; I am sorry to hear about this.

I assure you that on my 2007 I watched them uncrate it for the first time, and the decals weren't painted over on mine. Don't know if you bought your 2002 used (repaired?), or if maybe Honda changed it up along the way during the 6th-gen run...

Anyway, I'm of no use for paint repair help. Good luck.

I'm guessing that Honda went to not coating them in to make the decorating more flexible in later years. I have seen no evidence of repair work anywhere on the tail or elsewhere.

Sorry to hear that Pacificman. I had an 02 (see avatar) with a sticker and no clear coat. I also have a current 07 RWB no clear coat. I am not sure why yours has the clear coat and not mine. I watched them uncrate my 02 so we can rule that one out. Take care.

Not sure either, mine was owned by an wealthy enthusiast with motorcycle magazine connections so I think it may have been a very early US model (I have not checked serial numbers but I get the feeling...). Any way, I'm going to get a can of Color-rite clear coat and some fine, finer, finest wet and dry and knock down the raised clear coat edge shoot the areas and polish it in, I don't think I have a choice.

You could take it to a body shop and have them sand the entire thing and clearcoat it.

Although you may still have a bit of a ridge where the decal was, no matter how careful they are in sanding that area.

Sorry for the suckitude. :unsure:

Archived