In tank filter and pump

Guest Mysta2

Guest Mysta2

I've been cleaning up the junk off the 94 I just bought, and came up with a question. Can I fit this bike with an in tank fuel filter and pump? That's how my '06 Ducati Monster worked, which was nice because it left less junk stuck to the frame (which obviously matters more on a naked bike) I'm building a new single seat aluminum subframe for the bike and would like to be able to swap it out with a steel two up frame with no more than four bolts and a plug. My wife doesn't often want to go with me for a ride but when she does I don't want to have to say no, you wont fit.

The monster was nice because the whole panel that the filter and pump (and level sender) were attached to was bolted to the bottom of the tank and came off as one big assembly with an O ring around it, this seems so much simpler and tidier than the Honda. That bike was fuel injected, so I can't just use that part but I can't see why I couldn't take this part from a carbed bike and swap it in. Obviously I would need to cut a big hole in the tank and fit an adapter ring... but that would be the easy part if I could get it to work right.

Just a thought.

I've been looking into this, as I got an in-tank pump assembly from a 2004 CBR1000RR in an ebay job lot of parts.

Apparently the Blade guys that put turbos on carbed Blades use these, as they need a higher rate of fuel delivery. But you do need to regulate it, just like a fi bike, so you install a FPR (fuel pressure regulator). The stock set-up has a return to the tank so you hook that up to the new pump, of course.

Members here replace OEM FPRs with Turbo City FPRs with good results.

I was going to do it so I wouldn't have to find a home for the stock pump on my 4th Gen (have fitted a smaller tail unit/subframe). But having to then find a home for the FPR sort of defeats the purpose somewhat, as the FBR is almost the same size as the stock fuel pump...

Guest Mysta2

You'd need to find a really really low psi pump for your carb setup. EFI systems usually run from 45psi to 60psi.

Yeah, that's why I said I couldn't use the monster one. So I guess the real question is... are there any bikes that have both in tank pumps, and carbs?