Just a "little" louder exhaust

Guest danmurphymn

Guest danmurphymn

I really really like the sound of the full gut for my 6th gen, but not sure if I really want it that loud all of the time. I posted to see if there is anyone in the Twin Cities area of MN with a gut job so that I can hear it on an actual bike but no luck so far. So, is there a way to incrementally make it louder? Like I've heard about drilling holes but havent looked into it as of yet. Is there a middle area between full gut and stock exhaust on the cheap? Thanks.

• Member Contributer

In my experience with partial guts, and listening to full guts, it goes from quiet to really frickin loud without much in between....

• Member Contributer

A true full gut is about as loud as most loud aftermarket systems; i.e., an open design. If you want a somewhat tuneable exhaust, get an aftermarket setup that comes with removeable baffles. You can then either leave them both in, remove one, or remove both. You can also gut the catcon for even more flow and try the former combo's of baffles. That gives you 6 levels of tuneability. :warranty:

Here's my 6gen leo vinces with baffles in which is just slightly louder than stock but with much more character:

• 1 month later...

i went w/ erion full exhaust and its plenty loud (my neighbors 3 houses down get pissed when in tuning the bike), heres is a vid with a vfr w/ the erion slip on

This is a partial gut...i started the bike walked around the front, then walked around to the back about 4 feet from the cans.

To me it's the perfect blend, not too loud when parked...sounds great above vtec.

The only reason I did the partial gut was to make the exhaust audible when riding.

vfr 1.WAV

Guest vfrrider

On your request about drilling. The old trick is to drill about 8 1/8" holes in a radial pattern around the exhaust tip, inside the outer tip through the back of the can. This is a little throatier, but I think sounds nice.

Larry

VFRrider

Archived