Anyone have a Garmin zumo 450?

2thdr

• Member Contributer

I have one of these older units that I've used on my Vulcan 900 for a couple of years. I'm trying to decide if I should buy the wiring to use it on the Viffer or just upgrade to a newer, fancier 550 or 600. Just wondering if anyone has compared the 450 with the newer ones...Thanks

• Member Contributer

Just get another wire or a powerlet and use the same 450 GPS on your VFR. If you end up touring for a bit take a look at the new 665 units when the reviews come out. The newer 220/660/665 units do not offer a significant navigation advantage to upgrade....if some of the other features appeal pull the trigger. The 550 has a few tour features but basically is identical to what you have plus has a car mount.

• Member Contributer

Just get another wire or a powerlet and use the same 450 GPS on your VFR. If you end up touring for a bit take a look at the new 665 units when the reviews come out. The newer 220/660/665 units do not offer a significant navigation advantage to upgrade....if some of the other features appeal pull the trigger. The 550 has a few tour features but basically is identical to what you have plus has a car mount.

Thanks so much! I was able to find a power wire for $21 at garmin.com and I think I need a RAM ball mount to attach to the gas tank bolts, using my locking cradle I alread have...

Will this one work? http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-steel-u-bolt-motorcycle-mount-base-ram-b-231u.html

• Member Contributer

The RAM mount should work. Buy the power cord from GPS city too...save some money.

http://www.gpscity.c...ower-cable.html

Darn it I was a stupid guy! Already ordered the cable from Garmin and not only paid $6 too much, but got gouged on the shipping $5.50 more than gpscity.com. Oh well, I don't learn by doing things right the first time anyway...Thanks for the link for future ref.

• Member Contributer

The RAM mount should work. Buy the power cord from GPS city too...save some money.

http://www.gpscity.c...ower-cable.html

Darn it I was a stupid guy! Already ordered the cable from Garmin and not only paid $6 too much, but got gouged on the shipping $5.50 more than gpscity.com. Oh well, I don't learn by doing things right the first time anyway...Thanks for the link for future ref.

Sorry about that.................I don't believe you are the first to blow some money :pissed: :woohoo: :unsure: :pissed:

• Member Contributer

Well my 2 cents doesn't mean much now, but ya I have a 450 which I had have got the 550 at the time as it was only a $100 bucks more.

But ya, good idea keeping the 450, if you take a hard look at the new 600 group of Zumos they have some down grades from the 450s. Number of saved routes is the big one.

Archived