Motad headers

kaldek

• Member Contributer

Hey folks,

My motad headers arrived today, and I noticed that there is steel wool packed inside where the O2 sensors are inserted. Does anyone know if this is normal?

gallery_380_3458_406018.jpg

Steel wool packed inside Motad headers

• Member Contributer

Looks like leftover shavings from machining the threads for the sensor bungs?

Nah they weld the bungs in after the pipes are built. It's definitely steel wool - I pulled a bit out of it to check.

Hey folks,

My motad headers arrived today, and I noticed that there is steel wool packed inside where the O2 sensors are inserted. Does anyone know if this is normal?

gallery_380_3458_406018.jpg

Steel wool packed inside Motad headers

The collectors are lined with stainless mesh and wool to stop "rattling" and resonating- we have put a little too much on this one.

Sorry1 if you pull the excess clear all will be well and it does not affect flow.

The chinese copies that you see offered do not have this fitted which is why they sound "harsh" and unpleasant

Ian McDonald

contact me at th factory if you have more questions

• Member Contributer

The collectors are lined with stainless mesh and wool to stop "rattling" and resonating- we have put a little too much on this one.

Sorry! if you pull the excess clear all will be well and it does not affect flow.

The chinese copies that you see offered do not have this fitted which is why they sound "harsh" and unpleasant

Good lord, there are chinese copies of Motad headers??

Anyway Mark from McPerformance in Australia asked the same question for me to you guys directly - I certainly didn't expect you to respond here in the forum! Thanks for doing so though!

Actually you've said previously over at Bikers Oracle you would be happy to send power curves to the forum. Do you have any you could send over to us here?

• Member Contributer

Well, technically they are Chinese copies of the OEM headers, but yes, there are cheap versions out there.

Well, technically they are Chinese copies of the OEM headers, but yes, there are cheap versions out there.

My favourite chinese rip off so far!- on one of our Kawasaki pipes we use balance pipes to maintain the mid range power. the chinese had assumed these pipes were holding the headers in place (rather than an important power feature) and replaced the tubes with flat plate!- mid range power down 6 hp in one action!

To be pedantic- Motad works on the bikes and makes a mainly tubing based solution that works and fits. if the chinese are not copying ours- then our experience when they copy original collector boxes is that they leave much/all of the internal and vital structures. making pipework is not just getting gas from the engine to the back of the muffler- stuff that is left out damages power and rideability.

Ian McDonald

Motad

Archived