4Gen = No turn-run lights & no brake lights

Guest 94VFRoregon

Guest 94VFRoregon

Hey VFR peeps, I would appreciate any advice, I got a clean old 94 , runs engine runs like new, good battery voltage before start up and good voltage maintenance voltage while it's running & good head lights plus good tail running lights.

I just picked up this bike after driving 350 miles and arriving late at night on the weekend at a small car dealers lot to pick it up so I did not check it all the way out, also I have a broken ankle so I could not ride it

Three Problems:

When I got it home, I have no turn signals what so ever, no front turn / running lights, ( same bulbs ) and no brake lights.

SIGNALS: This is what I have done so far: I have changed out all 4 turn signal bulbs, this includes the dual filament front bulbs, and I have changed all fuses, still no turn signals and no front amber running lights.

HORN: No horn

BRAKE LIGHTS: I have changed out the dual filament brake light bulbs, loosened up the foot brake switch and tried to operate it by hand to turn on the brake lights ( no go ), take off the hand brake switch while still attached to the two power leads and operated the hand switch by hand as it dangling loose ( still no brake lights ).

So what do you think is left> turn signal & horn handlebar switch for the signals ?

What about the lack of brake lights ?

regards

"stumped"

• Member Contributer

first check fusebox, you can download a manual here, try searching downloads, there should be more info there. and Welcome :rolleyes:

Gary

Thanks for the welcome: This is a copy & paste of my OP which states that I changed all the fuses already, so I am, back to being stumped >

OP > SIGNALS: This is what I have done so far: I have changed out all 4 turn signal bulbs, this includes the dual filament front bulbs, and I have changed all fuses, still no turn signals and no front amber running lights. End Quote.

SAT UPDATE: So the fuse box was my first obvious place to go, now I am thinking there is no power across the fuse box so I will poke around with a test probe today to see if there is power "too" the fuse box, and if so then check to see if there is power back out "from" the fuse box, this may also affect my having no brake lights.

The horn is also dead but not on the same fuse as turn signals and brake lights, so I will pull apart the left handle bar switch to see if there is a bad connection inside it.

PS: For some dam reason my lap top wont allow any more downloads of any kind, I get this > WIN 32 ERROR crap and it cancels opening any exe's or pdf's , sheeesh, so I just bought a used manuel off of Ebay.

Any more input would be helpful ( VFR wise )

Peace

• Member Contributer

I know you said you checked all the fuses, but a lot of motorcycles, (especially newer Hondas) have one or more "main fuse"s somewhere other than the fusebox. On the 6th gen they are under the seat, not sure about 4th gen, it might not even have one, but it's best to eliminate the simple causes first.

If not, I'd take a multimeter to it and figure out where you do and don't have power everywhere and let us know.

I know you said you checked all the fuses, but a lot of motorcycles, (especially newer Hondas) have one or more "main fuse"s somewhere other than the fusebox. On the 6th gen they are under the seat, not sure about 4th gen, it might not even have one, but it's best to eliminate the simple causes first.

If not, I'd take a multimeter to it and figure out where you do and don't have power everywhere and let us know.

Thanks fir taking the time to reply: Yes, I too was looking for a larger "main" possibly near the battery, and yup Your thinking the same thing as me that I need to start tracing backwards, *sigh, oh well its raining and I am on crutches so it's not like I am missing out on anything , lol.

• Member Contributer

Take a wire from a known positive source (ie battery and feed the fuse block side of the fuse with power to see what happens to each circuit. It sounds like a ground problem becuse of so many things being affected .Good luck !

• Member Contributer

Take a wire from a known positive source (ie battery and feed the fuse block side of the fuse with power to see what happens to each circuit. It sounds like a ground problem becuse of so many things being affected .Good luck !

If it is a ground problem and you bypass the fusebox you could literally melt wires and burn out connectors. Rather, use a multimeter to see where circuits are and are not complete. If you don't have one, Harbor Freight has basic multimeters on sale for $4, I believe.

The trusty lightbulb type circuit tester works well too if you know a source should have power.

PROBLEM SOLVED > 1st off I was mistaken in my last posting on this thread, I went back and checked again and the 3 components are all on one fuse ,that is> the Turn Signals, the Brake Lights and the Horn are all on one fuse, so I checked the wire feeding brake light switch at the right handle bar and "Wa La" there was my problem, the little twin plugs / wire that feeds the little handlebar brake light switch was corroded and so the power was stopping just before the switch which caused and open circuit and so was interrupting the the entire turn-horn and brake continuity. Problem solved :blink:

Archived