blown head gasket?

Guest oldhead

Guest oldhead

i suspected it when it began to smoke at the start and stopped after it warmed up (oil color was good)- that was in the fall- over the winter she wouldnt stop smoking- LAST WEEK in the procces of tune up i checked oil its like chocholate milk.

i am begining disassembly, heading deep - any other posibilities? you know the most obvious! i cant think of nothing alse

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't sound like fun, but I think you are right. Usually smoking just at start is valve guides tho, if the smoke is oily. Check your spark plugs to see if one looks different, that would be the cylinder getting the antifreeze injection...

I think you're right. If you got enough water in the oil to make it like chocolate milk, your oil level is probably too full. I blew a head gasket on an old S-10 pickup. It held about 4-1/2 quarts normally, but when I drained it I got closer to two gallons out of it.

• 2 years later...

Reviving an old thread with questions for oldhead and mrmatt: Did you guys get everything taken care of? Was the issue just a head gasket or was it more?

I have virtually the same scenario as oldhead, except for the oil being milky... as of now, my oil is fine. Always steamed a tad on start up, but nothing crazy, then recently after some servicing it was blowing lots of steam. And mrmatt, I had the same issue with coolant sitting on top of a closed intake valve. My first thought was head gasket, then I wondered how the coolant would get there and figured it was a fine crack in the head along the valve guide. Seeing both of you with the same issues has me hopeful that is just a head gasket as I already have a spare set on the shelf. Bike only has about 16K on it, so the valves and seats should be good to go for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived