How to install jastek powerlet on vtec

Guest Montrealer

Guest Montrealer

jastek10.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Pictoral Easy how to step-by-step guide for installing the Jastek Powerlet PKT-012 Steering Head Kit for 2002 VFR VTEC

Here what you get in the VFR steering head kit which fit on the 2002 VFR VTEC:

jastek0.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

From what I could see, there is no doubt that this kit has very high quality parts right down to the little detail. ?It is virtually rustproof and durable. ?Everything was very well thought out. ?Couldn't have done any better myself.

Instructions on how to install the Jastek VFR steering head kit

Remove the seat, battery cover & left side fairing. ?See owner?s manual.

Disconnect the negative terminal first.

Start the routing of the wiring harness at the positive battery terminal. ?Slide back the red flexible dust boot cover over the stock battery red cable. ?Remove the bolt and add a dab of dielectric grease to the connectors. ?Place the red wire fork terminal under the stock battery wire connector. ?Reconnect the bolt.

Note: In the installation instructions sheet, it mentioned to route the wire into the dust boot cover along with the stock battery wire but I found this method prevent me from reseating the cover properly as it was too tight to slide it down over the two wires. ?Reconnect the negative terminal.

jastek1.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' /> (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)}" onclick="java script:if(this.width > (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)} else {this.width = (this.width*1.75)}" border="0" alt='Posted image: Click to resize'>

When you route the Jastek wiring harness down from the positive battery terminal, make sure it is NOT rubbing against the cable for the seat release.

jastek2.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' /> (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)}" onclick="java script:if(this.width > (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)} else {this.width = (this.width*1.75)}" border="0" alt='Posted image: Click to resize'>

Remove the two bolts for the coolant reserve tank and place it aside as shown.

Run the harness along the bike main wiring harness on the left side just between the frame and motor and out over the left radiator. ?DON?T let any part of the harness touch the engine or radiator. ?After Ty-wrapping the harness in place, reattach the coolant reserve tank in place.

jastek8.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' /> (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)}" onclick="java script:if(this.width > (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)} else {this.width = (this.width*1.75)}" border="0" alt='Posted image: Click to resize'>

Route the Jastek wiring harness thru the harness guide on the ABS front brake modulator and toward the bottom of the steering head tube. ?Tape the harness to the harness guide and add one more Ty-wrap near the front of the left radiator.

Loosen the bolt that holds the front brake modulator at the bottom. ?NOTE: this apply to ABS version of VTEC. ?Add a bit of dielectric grease to the fork connector of the black wire and attach it to this bolt. ?See the following photo for this step.

jastek9.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' /> (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)}" onclick="java script:if(this.width > (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)} else {this.width = (this.width*1.75)}" border="0" alt='Posted image: Click to resize'>

Close-up view of negative connection to front brake modulator bolt.

jastek5.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' /> (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)}" onclick="java script:if(this.width > (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)} else {this.width = (this.width*1.75)}" border="0" alt='Posted image: Click to resize'>

Now route the Jastek wiring harness up thru the steering head tube. ?Apply dielectric grease to the wire connectors and the Powerlet socket spade terminals. ?Connect the red wire to the center spade terminal and the black one to the outer spade terminal. ?NOTE: ?You may want to remove the plastic sleeve on the black wire connector as it prevents the Powerlet socket from seating in properly in the steering head tube. ?There should be no harm in doing this since this is the negative connector. ?Apply clear silicone caulking into the steering head tube and push the Powerlet socket into it.

jastek3.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' /> (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)}" onclick="java script:if(this.width > (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)} else {this.width = (this.width*1.75)}" border="0" alt='Posted image: Click to resize'>

Plug in the provided 7.5A fuse into the inline fuse holder and replace the cover. ?Screw the holder flange to the bottom of the seat rail just behind the frame. ?A hole is already there so just use the right size of stainless steel screw to fasten into it. ?Or you could go with a plastic clip instead. ?Note: in the photo, the fuse holder has not been attached yet.

jastek6.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' /> (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)}" onclick="java script:if(this.width > (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)} else {this.width = (this.width*1.75)}" border="0" alt='Posted image: Click to resize'>

Presto! ?Once the silicone is dry, you are ready to use it to light up a smoke! ?Just kidding about that one.

jastek4.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' /> (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)}" onclick="java script:if(this.width > (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)} else {this.width = (this.width*1.75)}" border="0" alt='Posted image: Click to resize'>

From my experience in installing the kit, it has been absolutely flawless with the only exception being the plastic cover for the negative connector getting in the way of the steering head tube wall. ?It prevents the Powerlet socket from seating properly, but take it off and problem is solved. ?The length of the wires in the wiring harness was just perfect, not too long or too short.

Oh, I forgot to also mention, the service at Jastek is FANTASTIC!

More info regarding the Powerlet socket will be added soon to this post.

By the way, check out the link to an excellent how to guide by our fellow member, UFO, for a similar Jastek kit for the 2002 VFR on his website: ? ?UFO's how to guide for Jastek Honda VFR 2002 Left Panel Kit

Cheers,

Brendan

Guest Montrealer

JASTEK ACCESSORIES

The fact that the connectors of Jastek accessories are screwed together so they can be taken apart to replace cables with longer ones or if they are damaged is a BIG plus. ?Other brands are usually encased in molded plastic and cannot be repaired in any way so they have to be chucked out. ?Not so with those Jastek connectors.

When inserting one into the Powerlet socket, it has a solid feel that tells you it ain?t going anywhere else when you?re riding. ?I also scratched the brass holding clips to see if they were plated. ?Nope, they are REAL solid brass. ?This is a sure sign of high quality and you can bet they will last the life of the bike. ?

Here are some of the Jastek accessories for the Powerlet socket.

jas2.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' /> (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)}" onclick="java script:if(this.width > (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)} else {this.width = (this.width*1.75)}" border="0" alt='Posted image: Click to resize'>

-Battery Tender Adapter (PL/SAE 6? Cable) - PAC-008-6: ?This is probably one of the most useful accessories. ?Just plug in the automatic battery charger into the Powerlet socket without having to go to the trouble to connect it directly to the battery terminals.

-PL/SAE Cable #PAC010-6: ?This one is similar to the Battery Tender Adapter except it come with a more weatherproof connector

-Cigar Cable - PAC-002: ?Any products with an automotive cigar connection can be plugged into the Powerlet socket.

-Right Angle Cigar Cable - PAC-012: ?I like the fact that this connector is at right angle so it doesn?t get in the way too much unlike with other types of connector.

-Cigar/Pl Adapter - PAC-026: ?Allows an accessory with a Powerlet connector to be use in an automotive cigar lighter socket.

-Super Duper Powerlet Plug - PPL-003: ?Will come in handy someday!

-Banana Cable - PAC-003: ?This is another useful accessory. ?I can just plug my multimeter into the Powerlet socket at will and check the battery strength without having the hassle of removing the covers and connecting a probe to each battery terminal. ?Great for diagnosing electrical problems!

jas1.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' /> (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)}" onclick="java script:if(this.width > (screen.width/1.75)){this.width = (this.width/1.75)} else {this.width = (this.width*1.75)}" border="0" alt='Posted image: Click to resize'>

Yeah, I had to go with a left panel kit because my GPS mount sits right over the steering head hole.  Otherwise I would have gone the route you went.  I love the mod.  The Powerlet socket is sooo much smaller than a typical cig socket.  I use it on every ride that isn't just a quick jaunt around the neighborhood or a ride to work.

Excellent writeup!!  :bow:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Montrealer

Just a quick question, I am going to try and find the time to install the steering head outlet today and wondered why you used the silicone and dielectric grease since it was not listed in the instructions. From what I understand they seem like good precautions however when I went to the electronics store to pick up the dielectric grease the clerk looked at me like I was from another planet when I told him what I was using it for. He said it might help stop corosion but did not think it was needed. I was not impressed with his "superior" knowledge so I purchased it anyways.

Yes, they are a precaution. ?The silicone was actually just to glue the power socket into the steering tube. ?The silicone also helped to slide it in easier, no need to hammer. ?Once the silicone dried, it is nearly impossible to take the socket off. ?So don't forget to remove the plastic sleeve off the negative connector if you don't want that slight 'lopsided' look.

For the wiring connections to the power socket inside the steering head tube, adding dielectric grease was probably an overkill since if you squeeze enough silicone caulking into the tube, it will definately keep out the moisture.

The silicone caulking I use is the same for bath and kitchen.

The dielectric grease is good for other electrical connections on the bike such as the grounding connecting, the connections on the battery terminals, etc.

Hope that helps! ?Any questions regarding this or others, feel free to ask me and I'll try my best to answer them.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Montrealer
Montrealer,

Excellent write up. May I ask how much you paid in Canadian $$, as I too am from Canada (Edmonton)

Thanks

I believe the price including shipping came to about $85.00 Canadian for the kit which is not cheap.  But for the quality, you can't get a better one anywhere so it's a good value IMO.

I ordered the steering head kit directly from Jastek website.  Also ordered several other products from them and have had great service every time!

Jastek website

• 3 months later...

I guess I am confused... So you have to buy an extension for a cigarette light outlet? So what can you do with the powerlet by itself?  I am definetly going to buy this but I want to make sure I get everything I need. I plan on using this for a radar detector.

Any help is appreciated!

• 6 months later...
Guest YellerVeefer

Cool that exactly a year after the original post I found myself installing both the steering head and rearset kits on my '00.  Then again maybe I'm just slow.   :D

Both kits went on flawlessly.  I am totally convinced that Jastek is a company that earns its business.  Quality product, discounted prices, fast delivery...  Pretty much says it all.  I also installed the PowerMate system in my tank bag this morning.  Being able to recharge my cell phone on the road will be outstanding, too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest JBnAZ

I just added this modification to my VFR a month ago and it went in like a charm.  Just as everyone said.  Good quality and fit.  Good instructions.  Good service.

The only thing I will add is that you will need an adaptor to use cigarette size power plugs.  But if you search Jastek website they have just about any variation you need for you application.

I went with the standard cigar cable and it has fit all my needs with or without my tank bag.  MP3 player, cell phone, CD player, etc.

That's a pretty nice installation.  I just wish that Powerlet made their plugs and sockets a little more robust.  I much prefer the looks of the BMW parts; which are the same.  

I use my BMW sockets (both bikes) for heated vest, battery tender, and to power my timing light.

• 2 months later...
Guest Montrealer

Sorry guys for being away,  had been working to live for the last two years...    sad.gif

Thanks for the comments!  So far, the Powerlet has been working flawlessly with no wear showing.  Used it everynight to connect the battery charger as you know how those megawatts high beams...   :D

By the way,  Miguel,  great job you have done with your website...Keep it up!