4th Gen frame

kblackburn

Hi,

I'm looking for some advise, the frame on my newly purchased 4th gen bike, has some scratching to the upper part of the frame, on the brushed alloy part, can it be made to look original finish ?

The other part of the frame, the lower section has some marks from where the brake and gear levers have touched, this section of the frame has a sand blasted or looks like that, question is should i try and have these sections blasted, or should I buy a polishing kit and do both sides of the frame.

kev

Kev the frame is anodised... so that anodising has to come off before you do anything else to it. Makes it hard to touch up problem areas like you've got.

I'm still debating what to do about mine (like many 4th Gens it has the marks on the lower cast sections from levers hitting there). Having stripped the paint off my wheels myself, I'm in no rush to go there again. I'd recommend paying someone to either media-blast it (soda blasting would be ideal) or chemical-dip it.

Then get it powdercoated... you don't want to have to polish it!

Or, coat it with Nyalic, not as tough as powdercoating but will preserve the polished shine, won't go yellow and it's easy to maintain (self-levelling so you can brush it on, and self-blending too so you can just paint more over any scratches and it will blend in). Nyalic is not cheap but it's good stuff.

Kev,

Soda blasting is like sand blasting but it's much easier on the subject material. When used on metal it actually leaves a surface that is somewhat rust resistant (as in you don't need to paint it immediately, you have a bit of time before any oxidisation gets going). I don't know if home-use sand blasting gear can be used with sodium bicarbonate.

http://www.asb-qld.com.au/faqs.htm

Nyalic (which I believe is 'Everbrite' in the US, not sure about elsewhere) is a clear coating which is extensively used in marine and aviation environments to give a tough non-yellowing finish to almost any surface. I have a sprakpack of it, it cost a mint ($55AUD five years ago) but I can honestly say it's the best spraypack I've ever used and the Nyalic itself is brilliant, I use it for special jobs like the rim-blow steering wheel of my dad's GT Falcon that I restored, my polished 4th Gen rims and engine covers (no more regular polishing) and other bits and pieces that I want to protect and keep looking good. It goes on very thin, like water, so a little goes a long way. As mentioned, it's self levelling - so you can brush it on.

No affiliation, just a very satisfied user.

In their development of the Apollo space capsule, the development and manufacturing contractor solicited chemical companies and independent chemists to provide a protective coating for extruded aluminum and magnesium components of the spacecraft. The contractor subjected over 300 different coatings to a battery of tests to determine which one would best meet its performance parameters. And the winner was Nyalic.

http://www.nyalic.com/

Archived