GoPro/HD mounting options

1TallTXn

Just acquired a GoPro HD motorsport Hero and am curious where those of you that have one put it on your bikes.

I've got an '02 VFR800.

I was wanting to put it on the bottom of the front cowl below the headlights, above the front fender, but I don't think there's enough clearance there under compression of the frontend.

I'll keep playing with mine and will post up what I find.

Just acquired a GoPro HD motorsport Hero and am curious where those of you that have one put it on your bikes.

I've got an '02 VFR800.

I was wanting to put it on the bottom of the front cowl below the headlights, above the front fender, but I don't think there's enough clearance there under compression of the frontend.

I put my ContourHD 1080P "on its side" under the headlights (since the contour lets you rotate the camera inside the case so that the pic is still upright). Clearance is fine. I even wired up power to it down there so it can run until the 16gb microsd is full.

651420621_PLGn6-M.jpg

I've got an '02 VFR800.

I put my ContourHD 1080P "on its side" under the headlights (since the contour lets you rotate the camera inside the case so that the pic is still upright). Clearance is fine. I even wired up power to it down there so it can run until the 16gb microsd is full.

651420621_PLGn6-M.jpg

Sadly, the GoPro is enough taller, that I don't think it'll fit there. I'll have to take a pic of it there and see what y'all think

• Member Contributer

I have a couple of the original GoPro's and I generally put mine on the side on the lower fairing for the front, and use one on the tail.

I will also use one on the front fairing with the big suction cup when needed (with a safety strap of wire) has worked good. But it also depends on what you want to show.

The wide angle cameras are not very good for following bikes with on the road if you are riding with safe spacing IMHO. On the track, things are a lot closer, so it works better.

For scenery and road shots the wide angle camera works great in the front. The regular (54mm) lens camera is OK for rear and front shots when ringing street, but image tends to be a little more sensitive to where it is mounted, in terms of vibration.

I don't thing the camera will fit under front fairing below headlight, as you said due to clearance issues and suspension compression. Have fun! I am going to have to order an HD version to try out.

Don't mount the gopro above the front fender like you mentioned. It will break the mounts. Ask me how I know... :wheel:

For shooting straight ahead, I put a mount on the black section between the headlights and below the wind screen as you can see in this pic:

CM_75102.jpg

and the video will look like this:

I got a GoPro myself. The first couple runs I just used the suction cup. Just yesterday I mounted up 4 different hard mounts and headed out. The mount on the front screen seemed to vibrate too much. The mount on the tail also vibrated but even worse than the front screen. I mounted one to my helmet but it caught alot of wind noise... I don't know either. Just going to use the suction cup for now until I find some alternatives.

This one is the suction cup facing backwards, still vibrates over bumps but not as bad as with the hard mounts...

• Member Contributer

I use the suction cup mount on the inside of the wind screen with the camera peeking over the top.

I borrowed a friends GoPro during a track day at Jennings last time. At first I used the suction cup on the tank looking forward, but it seemed to move a lot. I didn't have the ability to review the footage there, so I ended up sticking one of the mounts to the top of the triple tree for the day. It ended up working very well and seemed more stable then the suction cup on the tank. The video caught the tach, speedometer, and looked through the clear windshield. He had the regular cameras, but I think I will be getting the HD one after watching the video on their website.

I got a GoPro myself. The first couple runs I just used the suction cup. Just yesterday I mounted up 4 different hard mounts and headed out. The mount on the front screen seemed to vibrate too much. The mount on the tail also vibrated but even worse than the front screen. I mounted one to my helmet but it caught alot of wind noise... I don't know either. Just going to use the suction cup for now until I find some alternatives.

shaynej, what software did you use to add music to your video? I've never done that, but would like to try if it's not too hard.

shaynej, what software did you use to add music to your video? I've never done that, but would like to try if it's not too hard.

I cheated. I uploaded it to youtube and then on the edit screen selected the audio-swap option. It gives you alot of songs that are usable on youtube without the whole copyright infrigement issue. Most of them are no-names but you can find a couple that are familiar...

I cheated. I uploaded it to youtube and then on the edit screen selected the audio-swap option. It gives you alot of songs that are usable on youtube without the whole copyright infrigement issue. Most of them are no-names but you can find a couple that are familiar...

I just thought you were in to Creed... :goofy:

BTW if you upload to Vimeo, you can use whatever music you want :wheel:

• Member Contributer

I use the suction cup mount on the inside of the wind screen with the camera peeking over the top.

how well does that work? Is it shaky?

It does move a bit, but the video comes out smooth. Must be the stabilization feature at work.

Crap, mine are all sessions at a track day and over 10 minutes, so I can't upload them to You Tube without first editing.

I haven't had the camera on the bike yet, but I've had it on the cage, 4x4 SUV, and even on my bumpy back roads, the video turns out pretty good on the suction cup mount. It ain't as good as a steady cam, but its a heck of a lot cheaper too!

The video quality is amazing. I'm used to shooting with a Canon XL1s and this little GoPro HD surprises me. Sure, HD has a lot more res then the SD XL1s, but the lighting is right and thats amazing for a $300 camera. Thumbs up from me

• Member Contributer

Hey all ya'll,

VIMEO is a great place to host a video! I have some videos up w/ the GoPro at www.vimeo.com/tharkun.

You can upload 1 HD video a day, free or 500 MB a week. Check it out. http://www.vimeo.com/join

AN RC45 video I did with GoPro last spring on the RC45 (posted link here before). I used Windows Movie Maker to edit. Worst problem was balancing the sound levels between cameras. http://www.vimeo.com/2423497

A Couple of laps done at Barber this past July http://www.vimeo.com/5946894

There are some really well done amateur films and videos there too, if you get bored and look around.

Archived