Staintune questions

Guest friendsofrhomb

Guest friendsofrhomb

Hi,

Ive had my first VFR for 9 months now (02 6th gen) and im thinking about buying a new exhaust when I do the dreaded valve servicing in a few weeks time.

Ive been looking at staintunes and wanted to find out two things about them

1. Is it a full exhaust system, ie, will it get rid of the cat converters?

2. Will the OEM hard luggage fit with it installed.

I dont have the luggage on alot but I love to have it when i need it.

Cheers guys

• Member Contributer

Hi,

Ive had my first VFR for 9 months now (02 6th gen) and im thinking about buying a new exhaust when I do the dreaded valve servicing in a few weeks time.

Ive been looking at staintunes and wanted to find out two things about them

I dont have the luggage on alot but I love to have it when i need it.

Cheers guys

1. NO, it is just like a typical slip-on. The cats are part of the header.

2. I have no personal experience here but I have seen several 6th gens with Staintunes and the Honda factory luggage.

Hope this helps.

I'm sure being down under you've seen other "tunes" mounted??

(veronica) will love em.

If you want to remove the cats, some have cut n'fab them out with some difficulty from what I've seen or go to a Motad or Delveckic(sp) header.

I'm staying with the oem header until they get cooked and decide then...

:rolleyes:

post-13109-126005519259_thumb.jpg

OEM Hardbags will work - I had mine installed with my Tunes (before I sold them). Tunes sound awesome - I'm holding out for some Remus Carbon Fibre units though. BOTH sound incredible.

However - I've been told by many that a gutted exhaust ALSO sounds pretty decent (had that also).

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ive seen a few staintunes around, but never stopped and had a chat with the rider smile.gif

Another thread said the Delkavic headers for the 98-01 model will fit the 6th gen as well...does anyone know if thats the case?

heres the ones im looking at http://www.delkevic.com.au/?section=product&product_section=road_headers&mode=details&action=overview&product_id=12

Once again, thanks for the heads up on the headers, smile.gif

• Member Contributer

Answer to #1 you got already from Bayarearider...

Answer to #2. YUP! I bought my 6th gen and it had the Tunes on it. I added the OEM luggage. No problems.

• Member Contributer

Hard bags may not be a problem, but soft bags are. There are no heat shields on the Staintunes and they do get hot -- hot enough to get the neoprene backing on a set of Cortech soft bags smoking. Ask me how I know. I had a friend make a custom solution out of 3/8" stainless steel rod. They mount to the holes used for the passenger pegs at the bottom and to the exhaust mounts at the top. When installed, they keep the soft bags about an inch away from the pipes. They look slick, too! As for the sound of the Staintunes, there aren't too many better options. I've heard a couple set ups I like better -- PhatPat's gutted exhaust sounds great, and I've liked most of the Microns I've heard. But I still love the 'tunes. I never get tired of hearing the V4 fire up.

Archived