86 Vf500 No High-beam

flwoolybugger

I'm a newbie, with an 86 vf500. I've fixed a few small maintenance issues but I'm still learning. The headlight works fine on low-beam, but as soon as I hit the switch to high beam it goes out. I've changed the bulb but that doesn't fix it. I'm thinking to look at the switch next but is there some simple fix that I'm overlooking? Thanks.

New bulb didnt help? HUM, are you sure it is installed correctly?

Check the fuses. You very well could have a bad switch. A lot of times they can be cleaned at the contacts. There should be two brass contacts and a brass arm inside the switch. If they are dirty or slightly black use some fine sandpaper on the contacts.

Also check all the wires and connectors.

I do believe the high and low beam have seperate fuses.

New bulb didnt help? HUM, are you sure it is installed correctly?

Check the fuses. You very well could have a bad switch. A lot of times they can be cleaned at the contacts. There should be two brass contacts and a brass arm inside the switch. If they are dirty or slightly black use some fine sandpaper on the contacts.

Also check all the wires and connectors.

I do believe the high and low beam have seperate fuses.

I checked and there is only one headlight fuse, and its still good. I'll check the contacts (much cheaper and easier than a replacement switch)

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

+1 on a dirty contact.

On an old bike, those screws for the headlight switch can be a real bitch to remove without stripping the slots. Penetrating oil won't do much good since they are upside down. The fairing may not give you much room either. If possible, tap each screw a time or two with a proper sized screwdriver and a hammer before attempting to break loose.

• 1 month later...

It was the switch. New switch installed and the high-beam is back in business. When I got the old switch off it looks like the wire going into the switch is frayed and the owner before me had tried to solder it back together. Must have worked for a while but eventually the solder broke loose.

Thanks.

It was the switch. New switch installed and the high-beam is back in business. When I got the old switch off it looks like the wire going into the switch is frayed and the owner before me had tried to solder it back together. Must have worked for a while but eventually the solder broke loose.

Thanks.

can anyone tell me where the main light switch is meant to be as i have just got the bike and its missing

The headlight is on all the time. The switch I was talking about is the high-beam switch (it just changes it from low-beam to high-beam). Its on the left handlebar. The one assembly includes the high-beam, the horn and the turn signals. Is that the switch you're asking about?

Archived