Diagnostic Port?

Guest mugofevil

Guest mugofevil

Hi there, just a quick question about the GiPro DS gear indicator ( http://www.amcmotorcycles.com/contents/en-uk/d396.html ), it says it plugs straight into the ECU or diagnostic port under the seat, however I have no idea where this supposed port is, I recently had the seat off to install a fuzblock and didn't notice anything. Can anyone shed any light?

Cheers,

Shane

I think the port is closer to the ECU on the right front side.....

Greg :rolleyes:

Thanks Greg, that leads me to my next question... what and where is this ECU? :blush:

Hi there, just a quick question about the GiPro DS gear indicator ( http://www.amcmotorcycles.com/contents/en-uk/d396.html ), it says it plugs straight into the ECU or diagnostic port under the seat, however I have no idea where this supposed port is, I recently had the seat off to install a fuzblock and didn't notice anything. Can anyone shed any light?

Cheers,

Shane

The engine control unit is located under the right hand side cowl here. It's item #10 "PGM-FI unit".

I don't see how your device would "plug straight in", however. Is it supposed to fit between the existing connector and socket on the ECU? A picture would help.

• Member Contributer

Cheers,

Shane

Ummmmm, are you trying to plug a Suzuki aftermarket part into your VFR? Even if you could splice it into the harness the ECU's are completely different.

On a VFR the ECU tells what gear you're in by comparing engine output speed in RPM's to vehicle speed.

On Hayabusa's and other Suzuki's these parts are often added to trick the ECU into thinking the bike is in fifth gear, to eliminate the built in speed limiter (though why you'd want to go 185+ mph on a motorcycle is beyond me.) And our bikes are drag limited, not electronically limited for top speed.

Ummmmm, are you trying to plug a Suzuki aftermarket part into your VFR? Even if you could splice it into the harness the ECU's are completely different.

On a VFR the ECU tells what gear you're in by comparing engine output speed in RPM's to vehicle speed.

On Hayabusa's and other Suzuki's these parts are often added to trick the ECU into thinking the bike is in fifth gear, to eliminate the built in speed limiter (though why you'd want to go 185+ mph on a motorcycle is beyond me.) And our bikes are drag limited, not electronically limited for top speed.

No, there is a Honda version, its not the first item on the page I linked, its the version without the advanced timing retard eliminator.

There's a pic here http://www.amcmotorcycles.com/contents/med...o-ds_p02-04.jpg

Anyway I'll go through the manual and see if I can find it.

Shane

• Member Contributer

I have one of these installed. it is the one that Axel_7 sent me about a dozen message about:-)

Remove the right side fairing. near the top you will find a RED connector with a cap. remove the cap, plug the GIPro DS into it, and follow the directions to program it.

Had mine since a week after getting the bike and I love it.

• Member Contributer
No, there is a Honda version, its not the first item on the page I linked, its the version without the advanced timing retard eliminator.

There's a pic here http://www.amcmotorcycles.com/contents/med...o-ds_p02-04.jpg

Anyway I'll go through the manual and see if I can find it.

Shane

Oh, sorry, I didn't see the Honda version, just saw the Suzuki ones.

(Veefer Madness @ Oct 11 2009, 11:33 AM)

I think the port is closer to the ECU on the right front side.....

Greg

Thanks Greg, that leads me to my next question... what and where is this ECU?

I have one of these installed. it is the one that Axel_7 sent me about a dozen message about:-)

Remove the right side fairing. near the top you will find a RED connector with a cap. remove the cap, plug the GIPro DS into it, and follow the directions to program it.

Had mine since a week after getting the bike and I love it.

Thank you. I went to sleep last nite.... :cool: :fing02:

Greg :cool:

• Member Contributer
Thank you for the help as always gents.

I think I'll have to get myself one of these.

Shane

No problem. I love the one on my VFR so much, I got one for my new CBR before I even picked up the bike. I consider this a must since it is SOOOOO easy and useful.

Archived