To Drill Bleed Hole On Rebound Gold Valve

bsujanto

Race Tech manual says if your bike does not have any external rebound adjusters (on fork cap) you will need to drill a small bleed into one of the three round ports between the valve stack and Teflon band of Rebound Gold Valve using 1.3 mm diameter drill bit.

This rule is applied to VFR, but the space between valve stack and Teflon band is 1.5 mm. If I make the bleed hole right beside the Teflon band, there is only 0.2 mm left at the port wall for the valve to stick to.

That's obviously too risky and I decided not to drill it and just installed it.

Any idea what I should expect without this bleed hole?

Race Tech manual says if your bike does not have any external rebound adjusters (on fork cap) you will need to drill a small bleed into one of the three round ports between the valve stack and Teflon band of Rebound Gold Valve using 1.3 mm diameter drill bit.

This rule is applied to VFR, but the space between valve stack and Teflon band is 1.5 mm. If I make the bleed hole right beside the Teflon band, there is only 0.2 mm left at the port wall for the valve to stick to.

That's obviously too risky and I decided not to drill it and just installed it.

Any idea what I should expect without this bleed hole?

It is a biatch to drill that hole. If you're not pushed for time, I would send the valves back to RaceTech and tell them to drill the holes. They will do that if you specify it up front. Give them a call and maybe they can give you pointers. It was a pain to do.

Also, they can tell you the consequences of not drilling the hole.

Not sure what happens if you don't drill the hole. I had to go to a hobby shop to find a bit small enough, and used a drill press to do the drilling.

J:

Isn't it actually a #55 drill bit that you use? Ace Hardware usually has them. That's where I got mine.

Pete

• Member Contributer
Not sure what happens if you don't drill the hole. I had to go to a hobby shop to find a bit small enough, and used a drill press to do the drilling.

J:

Isn't it actually a #55 drill bit that you use? Ace Hardware usually has them. That's where I got mine.

Pete

Don't remember the #, but I went to a Lowes and Home Depot before going to a hobby shop. Ace may carry them.

Did you do it on Compression Gold Valve or Rebound Gold Valve?

I had no issue to do it on Compression Gold Valve.

Anyway I had a reply from Race Tech.

"In this situation we drill the hole at a slight angle, so if you drill it on one of the ports on the bottom of the oring slot you should have enough material there to drill it."

• Member Contributer

Did you do it on Compression Gold Valve or Rebound Gold Valve?

I had no issue to do it on Compression Gold Valve.

Anyway I had a reply from Race Tech.

"In this situation we drill the hole at a slight angle, so if you drill it on one of the ports on the bottom of the oring slot you should have enough material there to drill it."

I don't remember, I just followed the directions that I got. I purchased both compression and rebound valves. I think I only drilled 2 valves, so either the compression or rebound (I think rebound), but I am almost certain not both.

Archived