My First Electrical Problem (burnt Headlight Wires)

Ranger77

• Member Contributer

Well, one of my low beams (both highs worked) has been out for awhile and I bought some new bulbs. On the way to the store I smelt burning electrical stuff and I didn't figure it was me since you smell all kinds of things while riding. Well it was me. I replaced the left bulb just fine and got the right bulb installed and when I went to put on the connector I noticed it was melted some. The green wire on it is corroded now from burning up.

Just my left low beam works (no right low) and both high beams filaments just get about as bright as a .2 watt bulb. What should I check?

burntheadlight1Large.jpg

burntheadlight2Large.jpg

Start with the basics, battery connections - are they clean and tight? looks like a lot of resistance in that one wire. bad ground perhaps? Looks green as in corrosion - that'll slow the ground circuit down.

Any electrical mods recently?

• Member Contributer

I cut the wire and put on a regular female crimp in the bad one's place. I think a relay is going out and cause for awhile the beams will go from low to high with no problems and then sometimes one low might turn off or both highs wont come on or one high comes one.

Archived