1986 Vfr700f Fork Question

Guest Oxygen545

Guest Oxygen545

What I've noticed is that when I go fast enough to have to lean the bike over, or hang off a bit, there is a bit of front end chatter. I believe this to mean that I probably need to increase the rebound of the front forks. So I rebuilt the forks when I first got the bike because the seals were all messed up and there was no oil in them them.. well hardly any in there. I put the correct amount of oil in them according to the manual and I used 10wt. fork oil. I weigh 190lbs. and I suppose I'm getting into a more aggressive riding style. My question is, How do I fix the unnerving front end chatter. Right now I just hold on and don't try to press it too much but I know I can take those corners faster if only the front end wouldn't bounce around so much. I was thinking my options are getting some new springs (.9's??) but I don't think that will fix the issue here although it may be close to what I need.

Damon

• Member Contributer

It's not the lack of rebound but rather it's because there is too much high speed compression. Pretty typical for damping rod style forks, and going to a higher weight fluid would only make this worse.

Honestly, there really isn't anything that you can do to fix this except upgrade the valving. Getting springs matched to your weight is a must for sure. Since you mention that at one time the forks were run completely dry I'd suggest also a complete teardown and inspection. My guess is that the fork bushings need replaced.

It's not the lack of rebound but rather it's because there is too much high speed compression. Pretty typical for damping rod style forks, and going to a higher weight fluid would only make this worse.

Honestly, there really isn't anything that you can do to fix this except upgrade the valving. Getting springs matched to your weight is a must for sure. Since you mention that at one time the forks were run completely dry I'd suggest also a complete teardown and inspection. My guess is that the fork bushings need replaced.

I did tear them down, after I wrecked because they bottomed out in a dip going around a curve.. wheelies in a corner are NOT fun.. in any case. I ordered a fork brace, and I plan to get new springs when I can afford it. I also have some new head bearings and wheel bearings on order which should be here any day I'm going to check the front wheel balance because I think it's a little off as well.

You think going w/ the valve emulators from racetech is a good idea or should I just replace the forks as a lot of people do?

Oxygen

• Member Contributer
You think going w/ the valve emulators from racetech is a good idea or should I just replace the forks as a lot of people do?

I guess that's up to you. If you can find a complete front end really cheap then maybe it would be the way to go. My guess is that the Emulators would be cheaper. If you choose to replace the entire front end just be sure to get something with cartidge forks or else you won't be any better off.

I added the fork brace today and my rode on the same familiar road and it felt a little more smooth at the same speed. I'm still waiting on my bearings, and it to stop raining every afternoon so I can put them in and rebalance the front wheel. I think what I'm going to do is get the new springs when I can afford it and probably get the racetech cartridge emulators when finances allow again. I figure I can probably sell the forks after I upgrade them if I'm still not happy w/ them and use the money to replace them w/ something else. Well that's my plan..

Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep this thread posted as the progress continues in case anyone is interested.

Oxygen

Archived