Heli Bar Install

Guest spyder

Guest spyder

I am preparing to install heli bars for my 06 VFR/ABS. The directions all sound pretty staight foward except for the part copied below. Where the heck is this aluminum tab that is refered to and where do I start dremeling???

Before stock bars can be removed, it is necessary to rotate the front brake line forward at the master cylinders. To do this, you must first remove the aluminum tab that positively locates the hydraulic line at the banjo fittings. This can be accomplished by the careful use of a hand held hacksaw blade, or a Dremel tool with a small cut-off blade (Dremel #426, 1¼" fiberglass reinforced cut-off wheel suggested). Take your time.

• Member Contributer
I am preparing to install heli bars for my 06 VFR/ABS. The directions all sound pretty staight foward except for the part copied below. Where the heck is this aluminum tab that is refered to and where do I start dremeling???

Before stock bars can be removed, it is necessary to rotate the front brake line forward at the master cylinders. To do this, you must first remove the aluminum tab that positively locates the hydraulic line at the banjo fittings. This can be accomplished by the careful use of a hand held hacksaw blade, or a Dremel tool with a small cut-off blade (Dremel #426, 1¼" fiberglass reinforced cut-off wheel suggested). Take your time.

It's the aluminum tab that positively locates the hydraulic line at the banjo fittings. :biggrin:

No but seriously, you will need to rotate the hydraulic lines downward because the bars will make the brake/clutch higher. If you look at the banjo bolt, and where the line connects, you will see two tabs on either side of the line. You need to cut off the lower one, so that you can loosen the banjo bolt and rotate the line downward.

The banjo bolt is the thing that connects the brake/clutch line to the reservoir.

Edited by CrazyT

• Member Contributer

I also put Helibars on my '06 ABS and my clutch line came up a little short. I had to order a longer one to get full height. If you have the same problem, PM me, and I'll send you the info to get the right length. Other people have not had this problem, I think it's how the hose runs on the ABS model or ????

Guest spyder

Thanks guys. Nothing is every as easy as you think it is going to be. I am also replacing the screen with a zero gravity sport touring screen so I think I'll remove the screen first.

• Member Contributer
I also put Helibars on my '06 ABS and my clutch line came up a little short. I had to order a longer one to get full height. If you have the same problem, PM me, and I'll send you the info to get the right length. Other people have not had this problem, I think it's how the hose runs on the ABS model or ????

I got around this by rerouting the hose so that the fork didn't get in the way.

Guest spyder

I would be interested in knowing how you rerouted the clutch cable. I've been waiting for my screen to arrive and have been looking hard at the clutch cable. Looks like the cable will need to be removed from the master cylinder, released from other lines, and moved more laterally toward the left. ??????

• Member Contributer

Humm..... Don't understand, got a picture?

• Member Contributer

I'll try to remember to get a picture up later. But I had to take the banjo bolt off to do so. In stock form, the cable runs from the back of the engine to the inside of the left fork, and underneath the triple clamp. I routed it to the outside of the left fork, and have plenty of clearance. However, my risers are custom one-off's, not helibars, and they move the bars at least two inches towards the rear of the bike. I'm not sure if you'd get the same clearance with Helibars, now that I think about it. Do helibars just add height, or do they move them back as well?

Guest spyder

I'll try to remember to get a picture up later. But I had to take the banjo bolt off to do so. In stock form, the cable runs from the back of the engine to the inside of the left fork, and underneath the triple clamp. I routed it to the outside of the left fork, and have plenty of clearance. However, my risers are custom one-off's, not helibars, and they move the bars at least two inches towards the rear of the bike. I'm not sure if you'd get the same clearance with Helibars, now that I think about it. Do helibars just add height, or do they move them back as well?

1 1/8" up and 1 1/2" back for a 2006. Sounds like moving the clutch line is the ticket. Thanks!

• Member Contributer

So.... The line runs on the behind the triple tree (between triple tree and the tank) instead of in front (between triple tree and the fairing)?

• Member Contributer
So.... The line runs on the behind the triple tree (between triple tree and the tank) instead of in front (between triple tree and the fairing)?

No.

clutchline001.jpg

clutchline004.jpg

Plenty of room, as you can see. But again, these risers are different.

Edited by Ryanme17

Guest spyder

gallery_16508_4805_1476411.jpg

P7210062.JPG

gallery_16508_4805_897149.jpg

P7210061.JPG

gallery_16508_4805_1400135.jpg

P7210060.JPG

gallery_16508_4805_1112159.jpg

P7210058.JPG

Heli bars installed. I had previously lowered entire bike 1 1/2" with sigma lowering kit. Back came down 1/1/2" so I brought fork tubes up 1 1/2". Sigma risers installed at that time. Since fork is up so much I was able to keep sigma risers along with heli bars. Bike is extremely comfortable. Was necessary to move clutch line to left of forks which was really easy. Because I am now sitting so much more upright I installed Zero Gravity Sport Touring screen. Was in triple digits this weekend with barely a wisp of air felt. I am ready for some serious and cumfy sport touring.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bobbyp66

Questions for the group:

I just began putting Heli's on my 98 VFR today.

1) The instructions direct that the throttle cables must be moved behind the right fork tube, but I was able to remount the throttle without moving the cables. In fact, it looks like moving them behind the tube is more of a stretch.

2) On the other side, many have posted about the need to move the clutch line - but the Heli directions make no mention of that. I haven't begun to reassemble the left side, and I wondering if I really need to move that clutch line. I'd really rather not mess with it if I don't need to.

I'd love to hear from those who have done this install. What really needs to be moved here?

Thanks

Guest bobbyp66

Follow up to my prior post about moving cables and lines:

I completed the Heli Bar install on my 98:

- the throttle cables were moved behind the fork tube just because the directions said to, I didn't really see much need.

- the clutch line was not moved - I did try it both ways and found the original position (right of the fork tube) is the better location.

Otherwise - I'm very pleased with the new riding position. Steering does seem to be a bit slower, but still fine. You do catch a bit more wind on the head and shoulders by sitting more upright. I have a zero gravity sport tour shield coming and also found that you can still tuck in behind the stock screen at higher speeds if you want to.

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

I installed them on my '98 per the directions. Only issue I've had is that no matter what I do, the throttle doesn't return as quickly as it did before. In fact, it's damn pokey at times.

Guest bobbyp66

So I've now installed the Zero Gravity sport tour shield - have to say I wasn't super impressed with the fit - but it does get the air flow over your head (and I'm about 6'1".

Also bought some grip puppies - think I'm done for a while... need to ride more and tinker less!