Power Commanders

Guest merlinmaximust

Question

Guest merlinmaximust

Power Commanders

Power Commanders:

What are they good for and what do they really do for you

Okay I admit it I have been lurking around the inert web to get a sense of how a power commander will enhance my riding experience on my previously enjoyed 6th gen?

Background:

I recently had a 2000 SV650s, I truly loved that bike and enjoyed many a twisty with it, but the fun wears off and you want to ride something a little more civilized. So I sell the SV to my friend, not a good idea because I have to see it almost every day, I am sad that I could not keep both.

Current:

My 6th gen came with a very nice looking Staintune exhaust (cat back I think), love it looks great sounds better.

Other mods:

None

Now if I go out and sink in the bucks for a PC IV, what do I get and what will it do for me, joe average, mildly aggressive corner attacker and weekend warrior.

After pouring through millions of lines on line text and some rather informed opinions and some just dead stupid posts, I am hear among the purists of the sub culture I like to call “The VIFFERHOOD”.

So let me hear you brothers and sisters (we do have some of kinder sex on this forum don’t we?).

Technical is good by laymanease is best

Thanks

Merlin

4 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

A Power Commander allows you to fine tune your Air/Fuel Ratio (AFR) This gets you smoother throttle response and helps smooth out the VTEC transition. It does not give you more power. You don't need it unless your bike is running too lean from the aftermarket exhaust. In most cases the catalytic converter should provide enough backpressure that you won't need one, however someone recently said that after adding an aftermarket exhaust, his 6th gen was running too lean and needed a PCIII to richen up the mixture.

Spend that money on suspension upgrades.

Suggestions? Where would I start?

The proper rate springs for your weight, that is the foundation of any suspension set-up. :fing02:

Archived