Gutted Exhaust Help

2wheels4me

• Member Contributer
For those of you that have gone under the knife, have you noticed any negative effects in fuel mapping that might cause a decrease in engine life. Also, how many miles have you guys been running a gutted system. I guess I just need to know that it will not hurt my engine. A friend of mine told me that it might lean out my motor especially running high rpm on the track. What are your thoughts?

Did a partial gut on mine and currently have over 40K with no noticeable issues or power loss.

• Member Contributer

Only problem with a partial, is,...well,................. Have a buddy ride behind you. When you get into the higher RPMs, it gives a pinging noise, due to the flow. The rider can't hear it, but the folks around you think you own a POS, with a rod knock. :fing02:

• Member Contributer
Only problem with a partial, is,...well,................. Have a buddy ride behind you. When you get into the higher RPMs, it gives a pinging noise, due to the flow. The rider can't hear it, but the folks around you think you own a POS, with a rod knock. :fing02:

What do you mean b a pingind noise due to the flow?

I had a buddy ride mine and I never noticed it...

• Member Contributer
well I did the full gut and at 6,000 rpm it is 119 db's 5 feet from the bike. and once the VTEC kicks in it is really loud. I would like to get it to about 100-110 db's

When I say a full gut I mean nothing but the shell left ZERO guts left.

Were the end caps welded back on?

NO and yes I used exhaust repair tape to seal it off before welding(just to try it). with the ends off it was reallly loud. I ended up using (2) 2inX12" universal baffels welded onto the cap at the exit pipes. It made the sound louder than stock but not as loud as a full gut.

That's a big difference in what you're talking about vs. others who call it a full gut. Most people weld the end caps back on after gutting everything inside. Much less noise this way. I thought it was WAY too loud without the end caps, but happy with the change after welding them back on.

well I did the full gut and at 6,000 rpm it is 119 db's 5 feet from the bike. and once the VTEC kicks in it is really loud. I would like to get it to about 100-110 db's

When I say a full gut I mean nothing but the shell left ZERO guts left.

Were the end caps welded back on?

NO and yes I used exhaust repair tape to seal it off before welding(just to try it). with the ends off it was reallly loud. I ended up using (2) 2inX12" universal baffels welded onto the cap at the exit pipes. It made the sound louder than stock but not as loud as a full gut.

That's a big difference in what you're talking about vs. others who call it a full gut. Most people weld the end caps back on after gutting everything inside. Much less noise this way. I thought it was WAY too loud without the end caps, but happy with the change after welding them back on.

with the ends taped on on it was very very close to having them welded on just as long as you seal the openings and force the sound out of the pipes and not the cut.

• Member Contributer
Only problem with a partial, is,...well,................. Have a buddy ride behind you. When you get into the higher RPMs, it gives a pinging noise, due to the flow. The rider can't hear it, but the folks around you think you own a POS, with a rod knock. :beer:

What do you mean b a pingind noise due to the flow?

I had a buddy ride mine and I never noticed it...

Sorry, I meant PINGING. The small dia,. of the exit pipes creates this, when the exhaust flow has less restriction. It is less noticeable with a full gut, than a partial, but it still remains. This is why I changed the exit ports to 1.5"

gallery_2922_1722_257745.jpg

100_3695.JPG

• Member Contributer
Sorry, I meant PINGING. The small dia,. of the exit pipes creates this, when the exhaust flow has less restriction. It is less noticeable with a full gut, than a partial, but it still remains. This is why I changed the exit ports to 1.5"

You did say pinging, I typoed.

But back on topic, hmmm, I think I'm gonna do it anyway and see...

Archived