Ya Think?

Guest milesbandit

Guest milesbandit

Recently back from World Superbike in Salt Lake. Not a great trip what with riding through thunder storms, not very exciting racing, and some mechanical problems. I think I'm having electrical problems that may involve the R/R. Here are the symptoms: anybody want to offer a diagnosis?

The patient is a 2000 VFR with 50k miles. All normal maintenance has been done and it's never had a problem.

1) At the start of the trip, I noticed my speedometer was acting up, just like if the cable was wearing, but the VFR speedo is electric, right? Needle started to waver a little and seemed to be reading a little low. By mid-trip it was bouncing dramatically and reading very low. By the time I got home, it had stopped working.

2) A couple of times when I started the bike, the left rear turnsignal was out. Within a few minutes, it was working again.

3) Most scary, on the way home my FI light came on about 50 miles from Winnemucca. Ever been to Winnemucca? You don't want to turn around, but home was still 200 miles away across the high desert. I hit the kill switch the restarted at a roll, and the light went out. A half hour or so later, it happened again. By the time I got home, the light was always on, though when I stopped and turned the key back on, I could hear the system pressurize and the light went out. After a mile or two, it came on again.

4) The good news for this trip is the bike always ran perfectly. My volt meter read 13.1 with the engine off. So nothing bad seemed to happen, but it was certainly an anxious trip home. I was starting to think getting hit by lightening might be a good thing.

The bike is due for its major service, which I've scheduled with a local shop, but I'm not confident they can troubleshoot an electrical problem. Should I print out some of the pinned threads under Electrical and hope they can fix things. I'm not a mechanical person.

Thanks.

miles

• Member Contributer

Hey Miles,

I'm not the best mechanic either, but I will suggest you test the bike running with a multimeter. Should be about 14.1-14.3 right? In the meantime, I'll be checking this thread to see if someone more competent can chime in (Tightwad maybe, BR?) and make a real suggestion for the next step.

ppm

have you pulled the fault codes from the FI light? Might point to the source of the problem. Doesn't sound like it ran bad.

Yes, I know where Winnemucca is...I had the pleasure of running out of gas once when headed that way.

Archived