Garmin550 Software?

meddle1999

• Member Contributer

Hey guys... just looking for a little advise here... I'm a TomTom guy so I know nothing about Garmins options etc.. My buddy just got a GArmin550 and asked me to find out what software you guys are using for waypint management and trip planning.. Also... i see garmin uses *.wrp and *.wrx files.. is there any special software to produce these? I will do my own reaserch on the net but i thought id drop in here first and ask the "experts".. :fing02: thanks guys.. After all my buddy is the navigator for our next trip and i want to make sure he gets us to all the good roads!!!!

• Member Contributer
Hey guys... just looking for a little advise here... I'm a TomTom guy so I know nothing about Garmins options etc.. My buddy just got a GArmin550 and asked me to find out what software you guys are using for waypint management and trip planning.. Also... i see garmin uses *.wrp and *.wrx files.. is there any special software to produce these? I will do my own reaserch on the net but i thought id drop in here first and ask the "experts".. :fing02: thanks guys.. After all my buddy is the navigator for our next trip and i want to make sure he gets us to all the good roads!!!!

I just got the garmin 660 and I am using this... City Navigator North America NT 2010.10 It came with the gps in disk format. I use it to generate routes and such but I do not remember what type of file it is. I will need to look when I get home. Hope this helps!!

• Member Contributer

Garmin Mapsource is the only program to use. City Navigator maps are in Mapsource and are the same ones that are on the Zumo. At first Mapsource is cumbersome and a PITA. But there are too many advantages to using the software to not use it. You just have to force yourself to jump in the Mapsource pool.............it is cold but after a while you will get used to it. Really!

Mapsource comes packaged with the 550 and 660. As a rule you have to update Mapsource (free upgrades/fixes etc) and later you can also update the mapsets ie City Navigator.

Archived