Electrical Or Mechanical?

klrtovfr

Last fall I had an occasional random shutdown of 2 or 3 cylinders. Sounds just like my old single cyl klr650 and about as much power as it had too. Sometimes it will come back to life if I shut the motor off and turn it back on, other times it wont. The most successful attempt at getting all 4 running was to pull the throttle hard to engage the vtec valves. This has happened about 5 times out of maybe 30 rides. It seems like it would be electrical. I had the recall harness replaced last year and didn't have this problem before that. I think I read in one of the threads about something sounding similar, and it may be do to a connection near the radiator hoses heating up. I'm not sure exactly where to look. Is there anything else to check?

• Member Contributer

It almost sounds electrical. I would take the fairings of and go through the wire bundles looking at each connector. I beleive the bundle that connects all of the Fuel injectors comes out the right side and connects to a bigger harness. Check the connector for corrosion and if its connected correctly. it almost sounds like a loose connector. Just my two cents, I could be wrong, but its a place to start.

• Member Contributer

I had a similar sounding issue a couple summers ago....the bike cut down to what sounded like maybe 2 cylinders, and the exhaust actually started to glow orange...

I still had the extended warranty on it, so the dealer (after having it for almost 2 months) finally figured out, with Honda's assistance, that the wiring harness was to blame. This was before the recall came out, and before Honda was really accepting that there was an issue. It did fix the problem, and when the recall was released, both harnesses got replaced again with the updated versions.

Late last summer however, i had a similar incident come up one evening. Cruising at slower speeds through osh kosh, i noted that the usual 4500rpm hesitation seemed a bit worse than usual. Just after that, it started running like it was starving for fuel, and upon getting to the next stop light, the idle was extremely low....maybe in the 500rpm range. I was making preparations to have it die out and me calling for a ride, but it never got to that point. It slowly got better, even though throttle response seemed a bit off for the rest of the ride home. It acted up intermittently and very briefly over the course of the next week or so....but then never returned.....and still hasnt.

Ive been telling myself that it was either the old battery that was in it, or poor fuel. Ive never believed in the "bad gas" excuse, but its one of the only things i could think of.

The bike has been totally fine since, and that was about 5k miles ago....

Archived