Kendon Trailer Owners

DIMford

This may be in the wrong section and I request mods make any necessary changes. I am considering buying a kendon trailer later this year and I have a couple questions about them. At any time I would be towing any combination of the following the VFR, CBR, or the grilfriend's Suzuki Boulevard or even a single bike at a time to either track days or moving cross country.

Would a Pit Bull Restraint System work on them?

How easy is it to store? How tall when tipped up?

Are the wheel chocks likely to scratch or bend rotors or wheels?

Have you trailered a sport bike and a cruiser before? If so, did you have any difficulties securing them?

If you have the dual rail, how is it just hauling one bike? Would you recommend getting the optional center rail for this scenario?

Thanks for your help.

• Member Contributer
This may be in the wrong section and I request mods make any necessary changes. I am considering buying a kendon trailer later this year and I have a couple questions about them. At any time I would be towing any combination of the following the VFR, CBR, or the grilfriend's Suzuki Boulevard or even a single bike at a time to either track days or moving cross country.

Have you trailered a sport bike and a cruiser before? If so, did you have any difficulties securing them?

If you have the dual rail, how is it just hauling one bike? Would you recommend getting the optional center rail for this scenario?

Thanks for your help.

Have had the new style Kendon since 2003. Two rails with factory center rail (several trips later) although it is not essential. Towed a wing and an old heavy RT. Did great.

Even a Wing on the side tows fine............but I still put in the center rail.........looks better.

2573510820099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Don't need the Pitbull.

Wheels chocks ok with everything I have tried. I drive my Wing right up and in. Much easier to load then a pickup.............I do both.

Handy...get the two rail version for sure............nice to have the option to take a buddies bike. Next year I intend taking 3/4 klrs to Seattle for trip to Alaska. Two on Kendon...........one of maybe two in the bed.

2105978500099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Storage is where the Kendon really shines.........this is what a trailer does 95% of the time. I can stand it up by myself.

2312694080099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Stands up anytime even in the snow..........nice to have a trailer some time. AZ ...really! Sometimes I do this in campgrounds too.

2655347170099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Tracks beautifully torison bar suspension is the key................rides level..........always.

• Member Contributer

Probably taking a ST1300 and my VFR to Washington State in a month. Annual gig. Maybe take the KLR too. I am a big fan.

Not sure what the standup height is .................most likely on the Kendon site. I just roll into garage and then flip it up. Has casters so you can move it anywhere.

Costs me about maybe 2 mpg on the road depending on the load.

Probably taking a ST1300 and my VFR to Washington State in a month. Annual gig. Maybe take the KLR too. I am a big fan.

Not sure what the standup height is .................most likely on the Kendon site. I just roll into garage and then flip it up. Has casters so you can move it anywhere.

Costs me about maybe 2 mpg on the road depending on the load.

Thanks for the info. That's the sorta of info I was wondering about. One more quick question. the garage that you stand it up in... is it a standard height garage?

• Member Contributer

Standard height .....perhaps less as I have a bedroom or two above it. The reason the kendon has a low height is that the tail piece folds up on storage.

Too bad you can not take a look!

Standard height .....perhaps less as I have a bedroom or two above it. The reason the kendon has a low height is that the tail piece folds up on storage.

Unfortunately not before I buy one. Maybe after I move back to SoCal later this year.

• 10 months later...

Unfortunately not before I buy one. Maybe after I move back to SoCal later this year.

Now that it is almost a year later, did you buy one? How do you like it? I am considering a drop tail trailer but can;t find reviews. Reviews of the Kendon are mostly good. Reviews of the Towmaster are horrible.

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm glad I found this thread because I have been laboring over trailering two bikes or putting them in the bed of my truck. I ordered the 2010 version of this trailer today and from all that I've read it's one of the best compact M-cycle specific trailer going. Not to mention I can take the wheel chocks off and use it for a utility trailer if needed. After I use it once or twice I'll post up some sort of review for those interested.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for your help.

• Member Contributer

I just got back from another logistic adventure. Towed KLRs to Seattle area. Saved a lot of wear, tear on the bikes & tires as well leveraging what little time we had, so we could tour on new roads. Just as importantly we preserved our bodies as we pushed on to the Yukon and Alaska from there. Still did almost 4500 bike miles in Alaska.

2739344380099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Came back to San Diego with my pickup after my buddies made it down to San Diego just in time to go to work. the next day.

2228162160099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

I just bought a used one this afternoon. Two rails and it pulled nicely with one bike on it. Brought it back home and tucked it in the garage (standard height ceiling). Fairly easy to stand up and very easy

to roll on its casters. It's a 94 and in great shape.........seems to be very well made :fing02: .

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the replies! I discussed any negative reviews I've read with both the vendor and the manufacturer and both swore on everything holy that those are problems of the past and they stand behind the product 110%. That said, they may have been shooting for the sale, either way I got enough of a warm and fuzzy to pull the trigger. It is spec'd for 21" of the ground, flat and level so I picked up a Reese hitch with a 2"drop and 2" ball, rated at 6000#. After all the measuring it's 20 3/4" from the ground to the top of the ball so I'm pretty sure she will ride about as level as it can get (kept the receipt otherwise). I understand that it's a uni-tasker by design but on the rare occasion I need more then the bed of. my truck to haul, it's just a matter of pulling the chocks off.

All thats left is to hook her up and go up and down the road about 1000000 times and learn how to back and turn a trailer. The way I see it, if I can push and tow a C-130 aircraft I can tow or back this foolish thing. Stand-by for the "I dented my rear bumper with my new trailer" thread :cheerleader: . Any recommendations on tie downs would be helpful. It's been a long time since I have tied a bike down to anything. I'm set on 2" ratchet type so lets start there. Thanks again!

• Member Contributer

When backing it up.....best to have a bike on it so you have a reference point. Have you have ever been to a campground where the wife is "helping" guide the husband as he backs up the rig? Beware!

• Member Contributer

When backing it up.....best to have a bike on it so you have a reference point.

Or, mount a magnet to a fiberglass driveway marker that you can attach to the empty trailer when backing up.

• Member Contributer

I use Ancra as my primary tie downs. I have less expensive tie downs you can get anywhere for secondary tie downs plus overflow for other guys bikes if needed.

40888sseries_originals.jpg

I use a Canyon dancer and or Soft Hook Extensions 12 inchs. I also use home made PVC grip protectors with the Canyon Dancers....I believe a new version has built in protection.

med_gallery_2144_2760_443761.jpg

med_gallery_2144_2004_319941.jpg

• Member Contributer

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle_tie_down_straps.htm

I started with these:

HDMCR-Strap = 2 inch ratchet strap motorcycle tie down kit for pick up trucks and trailers- 8 piece kit

(4 ratchet straps- 4 soft loops)

4-Fleece-Sleeves = 4 strap fleece sleeves to fit over 1" or 2" straps. Protect your cycle, atv, truck or anything you do not want to have vibration marks from a strap rubbing up against

I have since bought a Canyon Dancer Bar Harness, but I haven't tried it out yet.

• Member Contributer

Here is another shot of the two railer with a third "tiny" bike stuck in sort of on the third rail. You can see only in an emergency!

The guy was quite high on the road capabilities of his WR250R but a long ride home from the AZ desert was not his cup of tea .....especially since he had a massive HO from hydrating the night before. Ooooooch!

2950060410099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

Looks like a combo of these:

HDMCR-Strap = 2 inch ratchet strap motorcycle tie down kit for pick up trucks and trailers- 8 piece kit

(4 ratchet straps- 4 soft loops)

Along with these:

Canyon Dancer Bar Harness II

Will make for a very stable and safe:

2950060410099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Looks like a winner guys, thanks for the help.

• Member Contributer

You are welcome...Enjoy.

When I bought my Kendon I never imagined the variety of MC uses it would have. It just gives me more flexibility to play and also incorporate my bride into the vacations.

My marriage would be on the rocks with one two up run across the desert in this.

2040415970099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Better if this is her MC adventure.

med_gallery_2144_2004_599980.jpg

Best thing I did was get the bigger two rail version.

Plus when we trailer we can bring the comfortable tents, cots, real stove, real cooler, food, chairs etc, etc

2545835130099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

You are welcome...Enjoy.

When I bought my Kendon I never imagined the variety of MC uses it would have. It just gives me more flexibility to play and also incorporate my bride into the vacations.

My marriage would be on the rocks with one two up run across the desert in this.

2040415970099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Better if this is her MC adventure.

med_gallery_2144_2004_599980.jpg

Best thing I did was get the bigger two rail version.

Plus when we trailer we can bring the comfortable tents, cots, real stove, real cooler, food, chairs etc, etc

2545835130099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Well, I ordered the above mentioned ratchet straps with soft loops. I'll wait on the Canyon Dancers to see if these will suffice on their own, I'll only get them if I have clearance issues. Unfortunately trailering is the only way I can get the wife out of a 200 mile radius and I desperately wanted to preserve my bed space for our bed tent so this trailer should work out perfect. It almost looks like I can strap down a small utility box with tools, gear and so on in between the two bikes. I will soon find out.

• Member Contributer

I know you just ordered some, but if you need more, JCW and many others have retractable tie downs so you don't have to mess with the excess strap. Here's a link... Retractable Ratchet Tie Down Straps

Great link! Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I'll bring this thread back from the dead, in fine style too. I finally got a chance to use the new trailer this weekend. I went from North Eastern North Carolina to Waynesboro VA, all in all about 500 miles round trip. I had my RWB and my wifes FZ6R on it and it rode smooth as can be, it felt like there was nothing back there (could have been the tow vehicle too :goofy:). Tied down with the CD IIs and some ratchet tie downs. The CDs scuffed the paint on my bar ends, otherwise they worked as advertised. A fun couple days of riding on the Blue Ridge with the wife who would not have made it riding the bikes.

Archived