Follow Up Review On Bell Star Helmet.

Beck

I went for a ride today and it was a bit windy out there. The Bell Star really performed well out there. Fantastically stable at all speeds. I also finally got a dark smoke shield for it after a long search at local motorcycle shops. At first it looked like the tint was on the light side but I found out taday that the slightly lighter tint works much better for riding in the trees where you go in and out of very bright and very dark conditions between the clumps of trees and tall hedges. The darker tinted shields on my other helmets makes it hard for my eyes to adjust to the constantly changing light conditions, sometimes leaving me almost blind in the darker sections of the mountain forests and also blinded again once I get out in the bright light, specially if the sun is at lower angles during the early morning and later in the afternoon. I did not have such problem today with the Bell dark smoke shield. The shield seems to find a good medium of light transmission into your eyes so the contrast of the changing light conditions does not overwhelm your eyes ability to adjust.

On my way home, I also got to bomb down the freeway at higher speeds than usual :491: and the stability of the helmet amazed me even more. With earplugs on, it felt almost serene inside the helmet with no movement being caused by the wind from the front, side, where ever. All that print and talk from Bell about their aerodynamic work on the helmet is definitely no hype at all. IT WORKS!! +1.gif

I recommend that anyone looking for a new helmet give the new Bell Star a try. Specially if you want to try out something really good that's not the usual ShoeiAriaAGVSoumiSharks!

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
I went for a ride today and it was a bit windy out there. The Bell Star really performed well out there. Fantastically stable at all speeds. I also finally got a dark smoke shield for it after a long search at local motorcycle shops. At first it looked like the tint was on the light side but I found out taday that the slightly lighter tint works much better for riding in the trees where you go in and out of very bright and very dark conditions between the clumps of trees and tall hedges. The darker tinted shields on my other helmets makes it hard for my eyes to adjust to the constantly changing light conditions, sometimes leaving me almost blind in the darker sections of the mountain forests and also blinded again once I get out in the bright light, specially if the sun is at lower angles during the early morning and later in the afternoon. I did not have such problem today with the Bell dark smoke shield. The shield seems to find a good medium of light transmission into your eyes so the contrast of the changing light conditions does not overwhelm your eyes ability to adjust.

On my way home, I also got to bomb down the freeway at higher speeds than usual +1.gif and the stability of the helmet amazed me even more. With earplugs on, it felt almost serene inside the helmet with no movement being caused by the wind from the front, side, where ever. All that print and talk from Bell about their aerodynamic work on the helmet is definitely no hype at all. IT WORKS!! :cool:

I recommend that anyone looking for a new helmet give the new Bell Star a try. Specially if you want to try out something really good that's not the usual ShoeiAriaAGVSoumiSharks!

Beck

95 VFR

I don't like my Bell Star. The lever that holds the visor tight is connected to a black plastic gasket that won't stay tight, so the visor won't stay tight.

Not that it matters anymore, a few hundred miles on it, and the plastic part on the visor itself that gets held tight broke.

Also, it's really, really loud.

On my way home, I also got to bomb down the freeway at higher speeds than usual :fing02: and the stability of the helmet amazed me even more. With earplugs on, it felt almost serene inside the helmet with no movement being caused by the wind from the front, side, where ever. All that print and talk from Bell about their aerodynamic work on the helmet is definitely no hype at all. IT WORKS!! :cool:

Beck

95 VFR

I don't like my Bell Star. The lever that holds the visor tight is connected to a black plastic gasket that won't stay tight, so the visor won't stay tight.

Not that it matters anymore, a few hundred miles on it, and the plastic part on the visor itself that gets held tight broke.

Also, it's really, really loud.

Lever on the left side of the helmet isn't supposed to hold down and seal the visor to the helmet. It just locks it close. The visor, like on all other helmets should close down and seal against the eyeport perimeter gasket on it's own with the pressure provided by the pivot detents. Something must be wrong with the way your visor pivots are adjusted from the factory. I'd bring it back to the dealership to have them see what's up and see if they can do some adjustments or talk to Bell about a possilbe fix. I have two visors now, a tinted and clear one, and both work/seal properly. No drafts, leaks or whistling. The helmet is noisy at speed right behind the ears, where those big rearside air extractors are, but i did find out that the noise is easily elimintated by earplugs. Fortunately it is not of the lower frequency type booming noise that gets past some earplugs. Give it a try.

Beck

95 VFR

Archived