How I Installed Kanadian Ken's Solo Rack

Lee 2002

malefem.gif

92499A640

18-8 Stainless Steel Male-Female Thrd Adapter M8 X 1.25 Male End, M8 X 1.0 Female End

In stock at $11.38 Each

The OEM bolt is 8 X 1.25. So you will need the Male thread to have that pitch.

Check the diameter of the HEX, it will need to be less than 22mm.

gallery_5686_867_29625.jpg

Many people have already done bushings. Your HD suggestion is a great option for those who don't have access to a lathe. I am happy that bushings fit your needs.

But, it was my intention from the get-go to avoid any loose hardware. I did not want to swap bolts (short for long) and I did not want to have to keep track of bushings while Ken's Rack was not mounted. Thus, my hard point solution.

• Member Contributer
gallery_5686_867_29625.jpg

Many people have already done bushings. Your HD suggestion is a great option for those who don't have access to a lathe. I am happy that bushings fit your needs.

But, it was my intention from the get-go to avoid any loose hardware. I did not want to swap bolts (short for long) and I did not want to have to keep track of bushings while Ken's Rack was not mounted. Thus, my hard point solution.

No bolts to swap, just take off the mount and top box, leave the spacers where they are and install the bolts to hold the spacers and the grab handle. Sure you have to use longer bolts, but you never go back to the shorter ones and as long as they are holding down both the spacers and the grab handle, nothing goes missing, except maybe the mounting rack and the top box.

But, it was my intention from the get-go to avoid any loose hardware.

At the time the change-over is made you still have to keep track of the bushings. I am happy bushings work for you. They were not an acceptable solution for me.

• Member Contributer
malefem.gif

92499A640

18-8 Stainless Steel Male-Female Thrd Adapter M8 X 1.25 Male End, M8 X 1.0 Female End

In stock at $11.38 Each

The OEM bolt is 8 X 1.25. So you will need the Male thread to have that pitch.

Check the diameter of the HEX, it will need to be less than 22mm.

The hex would be a 14mm wrench size. My elementary geometry skills tells me the OD would be ~16.2mm so that should work.

The entire spec of the spacer is below (sorry for the format). Strange that the female thread pitch would different, no? Eh, either way there's a enough engagement to hold the solo rack on reliably.

malefemthread.gif

Part Number: 92499A640

$11.38 Each

Type: Male-Female Threaded Hex

Male-Female Threaded Hex Type: Reducing

Material Type: Stainless Steel

Finish: Plain

Stainless Steel Type: 18-8 Stainless Steel

Body Length: 19.05 mm

Body Length Tolerance: ±.005"

Hex Width: 14 mm

Hex Width Tolerance: ±.002"

Male Screw Size: M8

Male Metric Thread Pitch: 1.25 mm

Female Screw Size: M8

Female Metric Thread Pitch: 1 mm

Threading: Partially Threaded

Male Thread Length (B): 12.7 mm

Female Thread Length (C ): 11.09 mm

Rockwell Hardness: Minimum B83

Tensile Strength: 85,000 psi

Thread Fit: Class 6g External; Class 6H Internal

Specifications Met: American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)

ASTM Specification: ASTM 581

• Member Contributer
malefemthread.gif

Part Number: 92499A640

$11.38 Each

Type: Male-Female Threaded Hex

Male-Female Threaded Hex Type: Reducing

Material Type: Stainless Steel

Finish: Plain

Stainless Steel Type: 18-8 Stainless Steel

Body Length: 19.05 mm

Body Length Tolerance: ±.005"

Hex Width: 14 mm

Hex Width Tolerance: ±.002"

Male Screw Size: M8

Male Metric Thread Pitch: 1.25 mm

Female Screw Size: M8

Female Metric Thread Pitch: 1 mm

Threading: Partially Threaded

Male Thread Length (B): 12.7 mm

Female Thread Length (C ): 11.09 mm

Rockwell Hardness: Minimum B83

Tensile Strength: 85,000 psi

Thread Fit: Class 6g External; Class 6H Internal

Specifications Met: American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)

ASTM Specification: ASTM 581

Shit. I just realized 12.7 mm of thread is not going to be anywhere close to enough to pass through the grab handle and secure to the bike. MF.

• 4 years later...

I realize this is an older thread but I was wondering if anyone found a ready to buy solution similar to OP's to make the solo rack a quick release solution. I got hard bags on my VFR now and lining up the screw holes with the hard bag mounts/grab rails/solo rack to get the solo rack installed is a real pain now, if I had a set up like OP it would make my life wayyy easier as I only use the solo rack for touring.

I waited all day to reply - hoping that someone had found an off the shelf option.

I can report that four years later I am still using the same bushings to mount Ken's Solo Rack. I can quickly remove four bolts and washers, throw them in the trunk and bring a passenger along for a ride with the handles already installed and solid.

In a couple of seconds I can re-install Ken's rack and be back to my commuter set-up.

If you can find the right diameter stock (or just close), you can easily fabricate these using nothing more than a hacksaw, file, drill press and tap.

After 4 years this is still the ideal set up for my needs.

• Member Contributer

If you can find the right diameter stock (or just close), you can easily fabricate these using nothing more than a hacksaw, file, drill press and tap.

Lee - can you post a detailed tutorial on how to fabricate these (using the easy mod-at home with few tools)?

Or do you have any interest in fabricating and selling? I think you have found an ingenious solution!

A light bulb kind of went off as I looked at OP's post again and was browsing through McMaster-Carr's site to look at all kinds of fasteners.

I could rig up something similar by using red loctite to join a length of m8 threaded rod to a m8 hex coupling nut, then use m8 screws to attach the solo rack to the remaining exposed thread on the coupling nuts

I'm going to order some fasteners and play around with them and I'll report back.

Any thoughts?

• 2 years later...

I recently bought a 5th Gen rack from Ken (yes they are still available) for my 2001 VFR. Have to say the bike handles like a beaut with this. I did the Blue Ridge Parkway trip from Toronto. Keeping the luggage weight forward over the back wheel is sooooooo good for handling. The beauty of this rack for me is that it takes 2 minutes to install when I want to do my trips, and off it comes (just 4 bolts) for regular city biking.

post-34159-0-28227700-1446226996.jpg

Archived