Header Wrap & Paint

Alien VFR

• Member Contributer

I'm going to head out to Pep Boys in a little while.

I'm going to get some header wrap and black header paint.

I'm going to wrap then paint the midpipe of the exhaust pictured below. I think it will look better than the sloppy welds. I'm going to leave the tips chrome.

For those who have used header wrap and paint, is there anything I should know, or is it a straight forward process?

How many feet of wrap do you think I'll need, and what's an approximate cost of the wrap?

Anyone have any pictures?

alienartifacts003.jpg

alienartifacts007.jpg

alienartifacts015.jpg

I've used it on track bikes and on car headers, but I don't think it would look good on a normal looking street bike IMO. If you had a rat bike or one of those junk "street fighters" maybe it would look ok I don't know. I would spend some time with a grinder and smooth out your welds and then get it coated. Or you could get some of that stainless steel braided sleeve that people put on car radiator hoses to make them look like the are stainless AN hoses.

• Member Contributer

They aren't nice looking welds. Who did that to you?

IMO, you'd be better off just grinding the welds down smooth. Taping over those welds will just allow them to deteriorate without you being able to see them. By grinding them smooth, you might be able to get past the porous parts and get smooth metal. Then you can paint just the metal if you so desire.

Archived