Recommendations For Led Replacement Bulbs

ggathagan

• Member Contributer

I'm looking at replacing my 5th gen's tail and signal bulbs with LED bulbs

Two questions:

1) Any opinions on vendors? Two I've seen were superlumination.com and superbrightleds.com, but there's probably more.

2) Are the bulbs I need the 3157/3156 series or the 7443/7440 series?

• 1 month later...

Super bright leds came through big for me. the one ending in 6 is single filament for the turn signals and the one ending in 7 is dual filament for the brake lights.

• Member Contributer

None of this may pertain to your specific application... but there is a nice review/comparison on l.e.d. bulbs on another forum I visit.

Here's a link to the thread... http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f62/led-ligh...parison-376375/

I have some you can have for the shipping. I have to go look in the pile-o-parts to get the numbers from them. If they will work, just pay the postage. Sent this message to you PM also.

• Member Contributer

I have just ordered a pack of blue LEDS to replace the clear bulbs in my instrument cluster on my 4th gen from superbrightleds. (not superbrightled it's a different site ) They fit and work perfectly and the shipping to the UK was super fast. I would (and will) use them again. (i'll post a pic when I put it all back together again ).

http://superbrightleds.com/specs/bulb_specs.htm

they are the WLED-B4

I'd be interested to know if anyone has successfully replaced the stop/turn signal bulbs as according to the site there is an issue with "brightness" and the fact that replacing the turn-signal bulbs may not work so well as they draw less power than a bulb so may not trigger the flasher unit. If you look at a LED tail-light on a newer bike there are quite a number of "bulbs" in there (which is probably how you get round the brightness issue )whereas we only have 2 to replace.

Anyone got any actual experience as it's something I wouldn't mind doing too?

I'm looking at replacing my 5th gen's tail and signal bulbs with LED bulbs

Two questions:

1) Any opinions on vendors? Two I've seen were superlumination.com and superbrightleds.com, but there's probably more.

2) Are the bulbs I need the 3157/3156 series or the 7443/7440 series?

I'd be interested to know if anyone has successfully replaced the stop/turn signal bulbs as according to the site there is an issue with "brightness" and the fact that replacing the turn-signal bulbs may not work so well as they draw less power than a bulb so may not trigger the flasher unit. If you look at a LED tail-light on a newer bike there are quite a number of "bulbs" in there (which is probably how you get round the brightness issue )whereas we only have 2 to replace.

Anyone got any actual experience as it's something I wouldn't mind doing too?

I replaced my front turn signals with 54 led 1157 bulbs from ebay. They are not as bright as stock but very visable. I had to get a flasher unit made for leds too. Pretty sure I got the one from superbrightleds.

The only reason I went to led signals is I wanted a led integrated taillight, so I had to change all the signals with leds so the new flasher would work. (oem doesnt work with leds, and the led flaser doesnt work with regular bulbs)

I recommend staying with the brighter stock bulbs unless you are doing a similar setup. (the integrated taillight is not as bright as stock either)

Archived