Look Behind You!

landlover

• Member Contributer

Hi, last week was pulling out no traffic either direction, bike was cold so was taking it easy on acceleration and all of a sudden I hear tires squeal, the driver did not see me till they were right on top of me. Where I messed up is, I knew the driver was back there, when I pulled out the vehicle was a good five to ten seconds from me but I should of looked to see how close the driver was getting. Like to think the bright red Aerostitch one piece Roadcrafter helped out but the bottom line is I did not use my mirror! Use those mirrors!

• Member Contributer
Hi, last week was pulling out no traffic either direction, bike was cold so was taking it easy on acceleration and all of a sudden I hear tires squeal, the driver did not see me till they were right on top of me. Where I messed up is, I knew the driver was back there, when I pulled out the vehicle was a good five to ten seconds from me but I should of looked to see how close the driver was getting. Like to think the bright red Aerostitch one piece Roadcrafter helped out but the bottom line is I did not use my mirror! Use those mirrors!

"Use those mirrors!".....throttle dosn't hurt either, oh yeah and another 30 seconds of warm up... :huh:

Glad you're not a hood ornament.

Thanks for the reminder.

• Member Contributer

"Use those mirrors!".....throttle dosn't hurt either, oh yeah and another 30 seconds of warm up... :huh:

Glad you're not a hood ornament.

Thanks for the reminder.

Yep, I will second that. Reminding us all that just a moments lapse in judgement can cost us our life. Thanks, JD

• Member Contributer

A similar situation happened to me on Thursday. I picked my kid up from karate class and a mom with her kid was parked to my left. I was backed in to the curb in the front of her car. As I start to pull out I notice the lady is looking over her left shoulder and not forward at me pulling out. She starts pulling out when her kid yelled at her to stop. I guess she was preoc :huh: cupied or impatient. Whew,,, almost got bit with my kid on the back.

• Member Contributer
A similar situation happened to me on Thursday. I picked my kid up from karate class and a mom with her kid was parked to my left. I was backed in to the curb in the front of her car. As I start to pull out I notice the lady is looking over her left shoulder and not forward at me pulling out. She starts pulling out when her kid yelled at her to stop. I guess she was preoc :huh: cupied or impatient. Whew,,, almost got bit with my kid on the back.

Nice of her child to look out for you.

My kids love being on the bike too. Those are the situations where I wonder how many lives I have :huh:

(those are just the ones I notice :fing02: )

Good for the kids to see both sides of the situation too.

• Member Contributer

RIDE LIKE YOU ARE INVISIBLE!!!!

This is the best piece of riding advice ever given to me. A MSF instructor told me this and it has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. Vehicles closing from behind are one of the worst but if you assume they do not see you, you may be able to do something about it such as flash brake light or just plain goose it. Keep The Rubber Side Down.

• Member Contributer
RIDE LIKE YOU ARE INVISIBLE!!!!

This is the best piece of riding advice ever given to me. A MSF instructor told me this and it has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. Vehicles closing from behind are one of the worst but if you assume they do not see you, you may be able to do something about it such as flash brake light or just plain goose it. Keep The Rubber Side Down.

+1 :excl: :blink:

Archived