Headlights, Low Beams Out, But High Beams Fine

Guest martij8

So I pull into the garage from a brief ride the other evening and notice I don't have any headlights. So, I was in a hurry and left it for later. Went out there today, and turn the key, nothing. Check the fuse, it's fine. Not brown or anything. So I replace it and turn the key on and nothing, but the high beams work when switched on.

I checked out the bulbs, through the headlight, and they look fine. Maybe not. Has anyone ever had this issue with just the low beams dying? Another fuse I'm missing?

Thanks.

• Member Contributer
It's possible that both low beams are burned out. It seems that if one bulb burns out, the other often follows soon thereafter. Dunno why.

Happened to me last week, came out of the house key one, left one popped. When I came out of Wal-mart after picking up a replacement turn the key on and both where out. Went back in to Wal-Mart and picked up a second bulb, then drove home with highbeams on. Less then a 10 mile drive to Wal-Mart from my place. Like my car I find the VFR only pops a bulb when you first turn on the key, must be that inrush current the bulb needs to first light that kills it.

• Member Contributer
If the filaments are ok, it could be the low beam relay maybe? You could check for power at the headlight with the key on.

The relay is a suspect, but I've also had trouble with the switch on the handlebar, which is solved by a good hose-out with contact cleaner.

It's always the low beam that burns out first, When one goes, the other is not far behind.

• 2 weeks later...
It's possible that both low beams are burned out. It seems that if one bulb burns out, the other often follows soon thereafter. Dunno why.

Happened to me last week, came out of the house key one, left one popped. When I came out of Wal-mart after picking up a replacement turn the key on and both where out. Went back in to Wal-Mart and picked up a second bulb, then drove home with highbeams on. Less then a 10 mile drive to Wal-Mart from my place. Like my car I find the VFR only pops a bulb when you first turn on the key, must be that inrush current the bulb needs to first light that kills it.

I just had the same problem. Both low beams burned out. Relay was easy to check and would actually be easier to replace than the bulbs. I am off to the parts store tomorrow for new bulbs. I wonder why they fail in pairs? Could be like a death agreement.

Aerotech

Archived