Old Tires

Muff

• Member Contributer

Well I'm buying new tires, apparently the posting about old tires is correct. Bought an 02 with low mileage and orginal tires. Back tire started throwing chunks of tread on the way home yesterday.

Muff

Really... the best investment you can make in your motorcycle is a new set of tires....

I would highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Road 2's as several of us are running those now. Best combination of stick and durability I've ever experienced... and absolutely worlds better than the stock dunlops that came on those bikes.

My neighbor bought a brand new GSXR600 last year... and before it was even broken in we pried a set of Michelin Pilot Power Sport 2CT's on it... because the $285 for a set is about the highest investment/return ratio you can get.

Michael

• Member Contributer

Yep, as mentioned above, new tires for sure. How old is the bike doesn't tell you how old are your tires. Check at the end of the DOT serial #, there should be a series of 4 digits at the very end. The first 2 are the week the tire has been manufactured, the last 2 represent the the year. So if you see 2606, it means the tire was built on the 26th week of 2006. If you have only 3 digits, it means the tire was manufactured in the 90's. 266 = 26th week of 1996.

For a car, they say the maximum if 9 years, but tires should not be sold past 6 years.

Personally, I replace my tires every year, but you don't have to do that to be safe.

SG

• Member Contributer

Muffer,

That would be a very smart investment.I got my last set from Sportbike Track Gear(888)784-4327.

They will negotiate on the price and no delivery charges or tax.

Best deal on tires I've found yet.

PS.................just because a deer knocked me over does not mean the tire don't have good grip

I second the Pilot Road 2's

Well I'm buying new tires, apparently the posting about old tires is correct. Bought an 02 with low mileage and orginal tires. Back tire started throwing chunks of tread on the way home yesterday.

Muff

lifted from another forum:

As fuel prices pull motos out of storage-

but a good refresher for our autos.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4822250&page=1

• Member Contributer
By the sounds of it "throwing chuncks of tread" = Time for new tires!

Try Derby Cycles

They have great prices on Road 2's

I checked out Derby. They do have good prices. But they were going to charge me a shipping fee and that bumped their price over Sportbike Track Gear.

That's blessing in disguise IMO, Muffer. Now you can replace those bad OEM tires with a much better set. Besides, I'd bet the old ones were getting kind of hard (and less grippy) from age.

Michelin PR2s are highly recommended by many folks, but I loved the Continental Road Attacks I ran all last year. Quite a bit cheaper than the Michelins, too.

• Member Contributer
Muffer,

That would be a very smart investment.I got my last set from Sportbike Track Gear(888)784-4327.

They will negotiate on the price and no delivery charges or tax.

Best deal on tires I've found yet.

PS.................just because a deer knocked me over does not mean the tire don't have good grip

I second the Pilot Road 2's

I will check them out.... ONLY because you are my hero!!!

Muff

Archived