Cave Run Lake Ride - Video And Pic

Guest Logicus

Guest Logicus

CaveRunLakePanoramic.jpg

Well, I went out today on a ride of about 250 miles. This ride circled Cave Run Lake which is located in the northeast section of the Daniel Boone National Forest. Took 377 (from 59 off of the AA Hwy at Vanceburg, KY) into the park and found a lot of curves, and a good mix, too. Also encountered traffic, unfortunately one car after another all the way to Morehead where I picked up 801 leading into the park. Not much going on, and lots of open road. Many many looong sweepers with just a couple of tight technical sections. 801 to 1274 which is virtually the same type of rural road through the mountains surrounding the Lake. Turned north onto 211/36 which is a narrower and older road with lots of curves to whip through. I took 111 to 32 to 11 at Flemingsburg and headed home. Left at 10:30am and got home around 3:30 pm.

The video shows 4 or 5 minutes of nice long sweeping turns running and then some tighter switchback-type turns still allowing some speed. It was a good pace, though, and very relaxed. Good day for it. Sorry I don't have more pictures, but it was so hot in the gear when I stopped, I finally said screw it and just stayed on the bike. Stopped two or three times for a couple of pics, and once for some $3.59 gas (had too just because it was $3.59) and that's it. Hopefully the video makes up for the lack of pics and I'll get more next time!

(helps if you click "watch in high quality" just under the lower right corner of the video where it says "VIEWS:"

• Member Contributer

Looks like a fun time :goofy: Good job on the video! what are you using? what I could hear sounded good, I am going to have to try to video soon

Looks like a fun time :goofy: Good job on the video! what are you using? what I could hear sounded good, I am going to have to try to video soon

On this run, a Canon Powershot S3 IS. Records in 640p mode at 30 FPS. I need to get something better, though. After mixing it, adding music, and then uploading it, it looks like crap. I also have a GoPro Motorsports video camera. It's a small little thing that's in a waterproof (and somewhat shockproof) housing. No windnoise since the mic's inside the case, and it has a million mounting options... that's the biggest pain, mounting where there'll be no vibration. on a bike... :goofy: Anyway, the Canon is mounted using a RAM ball-mount system that attaches to the bike using a compression fitting that fits into the hole in the top of the yoke. I use the same spot to mount the gps if I'm using that. I don't like the camera "behind the windscreen" view though. I want to get it out in front off the triple or the frame or engine somewhere. I'll find somewhere for it.

• Member Contributer

Nice job! Do you know of the "LOOP" outside of Morehead? Highway 32 east out of town? It's only a hop skip and a jump from where you shot this. One of the routes for the KY Revival will take us to this area folks! Not too late to join the fun in October at the Kentucky Revival!

Archived