Spark Plug Wires On A 1st Generation ?

Guest EJS4029

Guest EJS4029

I need to replace a spark plug wire on my 1984 750 Interceptor the left front wire was rubbing on the left upper radiator fan and almost severed it in half.

I have NGK wires and plug caps on it now and was wondering can I just replace the wire and use the existing cap ? If so I'm not sure which type of wire to buy. I know they are offered in different thickness like 7MM or 8MM is there anything else I need to be aware of ? ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

• Member Contributer

i was gonn aask about wires today too i need 1 or 2 for my 700

Ok after doing alittle searching I found out that I you can just buy the NGK plug caps I use the SD05F model so I think all I need to do is buy some 7MM copper stranded spark plug wire.....Is that all there is to it ?

• Member Contributer
Ok after doing alittle searching I found out that I you can just buy the NGK plug caps I use the SD05F model so I think all I need to do is buy some 7MM copper stranded spark plug wire.....Is that all there is to it ?
Hello:

I wish I knew a bit more about your bike, but, within this response, I am ASSUMING that everything that applies to my bike, an '89, applies to the gen 1 bikes ---- but I really don’t know.

In my bike (and, again, I am ASSUMING yours) resistance is built into the wires / cables at the spark plug boot. Why? To suppress RFI (radio frequency interference) and EMI (electromagnetic interference) with the “spark box” (the electronic ignition), a.k.a. the “CDI” (capacitor discharge ignition).

The OEM ignition cables are copper core, which, on their own, produce RFI and EMI. So, there is resistance built into the spark plug boot to suppress both.

I recently installed Dynatek DC3-1 ignition coils, after-market 8mm solid (stranded) copper core wires (I had to have them tailor made, because the OEM ignition cables would not fit the Dynatak coils) and NGK Iridium plugs.

I was worried about this. I was concerned that the 8mm stranded copper core wires, WITHOUT the built-in resistance that is found in the OEM boots, would interfere with the CDI. Well, this is not the case.

On my bike (again, an ’89) the CDI / spark box is installed at the very tail end of the bike – as far away from the ignition cables and coils as it can get.

I am having absolutely no ignition problems from this modification. In fact, the increase in torque is blowing my mind!

I hope this is helpful to you.

rctwentyfour

The NGK Spark plug resistor cover that I am using SD05F is used with resistor spark plugs and NGK claims they are the best combination against radio frequency interference. Protect aging engines from cutting out in wet conditions.

For use with 7mm-diameter plug wires.

So I think just using the 7MM stranded copper core wire wouldn't be a problem.

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/Motorcycle_Part...Spark-Plug-Caps

Everything i have encontered said the bigger the wire the greater spark that get to the plugs go with 8mm if you can if not im sure it wont make that big of a deal

• 2 years later...

I Just Did A Tune-Up On My 1984 VF700F Interceptor. Went Down To My Local Cycle Parts Retailer Here In Lincoln, Nebraska "Great Plains Cycle", They Are Very Helpful And Try To Save You Money So You Come Back And Buy From Them. Any Way He Told Me You Can Buy The Spark Plug Wires Right Off The Bulk 50 Ft. Roll (Way Cheaper Than Buying A Set). I Bought 7mm Cause That Was Usually Standard For The Bike, Also he Said It Depended on What your Coil Pack Would Accept As In Terms Of How Big The Diameter Of The Coil Pack Hole It Plugs Into. Mine Was Pretty Snug With The 7mm Wire. IAlso Got 4 New Plug Boot Ends (NGK $3.99 A Piece, Wire Was $1.89 Ft. I Think). I Also Split Vacuum Hose Down The Middle And Put Around The Plug Wires Where The Wire Is Going To Come Into Contact With AnyThing That Could Potentialy Rub Against It. I Also Put Just A Little Bit Of Dialectric Grease inside The Coil pack opening So No Moisture Gets In There An Starts Corroding The Coil Pin & Wire Internals. Hope This Helps!

Thor68372rockon :beer:

• 1 year later...

yea do not do what above said and get auto cables. carbon core wires have anywhere from 80k-150k ohms of resistance and are meant for a coil pack sending out about 100 000 volts in the line so that when it reaches your plug it is resisted down to about 600 volts which is what your copper metal lines coil pack is putting out. further spark arcing across your spark plug brings voltage down to a level that wont fry your electrical system. simply put you will get no spark from carbon core auto wires.

• Member Contributer

+1 on copper core.

I'm running a stock setup but an interesting note about your experience with not using resistor spark plug caps rctwentyfour.

Mike Nixon also has a good tech article on this topic for those interested: http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/plugwiretech.html

Archived