Gen 3 Exhaust Options?

Guest 1LuckyDude

Guest 1LuckyDude

Obviously not many (if any) being made for this generation anymore. Will a 4th gen system fit?? What's the differences? A slip-on would suffice, this mod is not about performance for me. I can find 4th gen slip-ons all day...but nothing for a 3rd gen. TIA

Jon

Guest vfrrider

There are several alternatives.

Yes, some slip-ons are still available for the 3rd gen. Remus, TBR, Motad, and a few others spotty.

You can take the entire exhaust system from a 4th gen and bolt it on and use anything that will fit a 4th gen. Lose a few pounds in the deal. And you can get New 4th gen systems from Motad and Predator in the UK, SS. Or you can use Ebay for deals.

Or you can make your own slip-on. Its dirt easy due to the simple bolt on flange. Cut it of your present can, with clamp, and welld it on a connector to whatever you like. I've done it several times. Check my pics in the gallery for the latest incarnation.

Pays your moneys, takes your choices.

Larry

VFRrider

There are several alternatives.

Yes, some slip-ons are still available for the 3rd gen. Remus, TBR, Motad, and a few others spotty.

You can take the entire exhaust system from a 4th gen and bolt it on and use anything that will fit a 4th gen. Lose a few pounds in the deal. And you can get New 4th gen systems from Motad and Predator in the UK, SS. Or you can use Ebay for deals.

Or you can make your own slip-on. Its dirt easy due to the simple bolt on flange. Cut it of your present can, with clamp, and welld it on a connector to whatever you like. I've done it several times. Check my pics in the gallery for the latest incarnation.

Pays your moneys, takes your choices.

Larry

VFRrider

Thanks Larry,

I've been reading and had just read about the 4th gen swap. I'll probably go that route. I appreciate your reply. Thanks

Jon

That was very informative and gave me more than enough links (that are still active). Thank you! Glad to know I still have options.

Seems each day I am finding new resources....now I'm off to check out that vsource site...never heard of that one until now.

• Member Contributer

I had lost that vsource linky! Thanks for posting! A new can is next on my list...

• Member Contributer

Gotta do a bit more "self-promotion"... :laugh:

Ciao,

• 3 weeks later...

Had the same problem with my 91 Viffer and ended up picking up a D&D carbon muffler with mid pipe from an F4 off Ebay for dirt cheap.Exhaust shop wouldn't touch it,so I basically cut the midpipe,clamped it to the collector flange,then clamped the pipe to the other end.Easy and looks really nice as well.I'll post pics when my wife returns my camera.

I've been looking for an exhaust as well. The exhaust has been cut of just after the collector. I measured it at 2.5 inches and was gonna try to find a can that has the same size inlet, but haven't had any luck. I figured I could get some 2.5 inch exhaust pipe and make my own slip on system. Right now it's super loud. I don't really have a problem with it, but the local law enforcement doesn't care much for it. :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I couldnt resist the temptation to try the pipe with no can,but its LOUD!I'll try and get a pic soon,it turned out nice and total cost was $115 for the midpipe and can,plus $4 for a hacksaw.I know it sounds ghetto but I couldnt be happier how it turned out.The guy said it came from a 99 F4 although I cant confirm this.Try Ebay...I almost had a Two Brothers system for my 91 but got outbid,they show up occasionally.

I got tired of hunting Ebay myself, so I took the law into my own hands. It turned into an emergency when the outlet from the header broke on my way to work.

I made the muffler with a piece of 3 1/2 stainless tubing, and inside baffles from an old muffler. I wrapped the baffle with new exhaust packing.

The hangers are temporary to get it down the road. I'll make something nicer when I have time. I spent about 4 hours total on this.

n534659839_608266_7006.jpg

n534659839_608267_8176.jpg

n534659839_608265_6008.jpg

Archived