Heated Seat Modification

HispanicSlammer

• Forum CEO

heatseat11.JPG

I had an extra heat element from a Kimpex grip set, I thought why not make the seat a heated seat. I had planned on adding some padding to my old Corbin anyway, 50,000 miles of hard riding the padding has started to get worn where I normally sit I bought it used anyway who knows how many miles it actually has, it was getting worn.

Prepping the seat

heatseat01.JPG

Remove the seat and drill off the rivet heads

heatseat02.JPG

I removed the rivets all the way to the pillion section then pulled back the cover, it was glued so I had to pull on it hard, the foam had to be cut with a utility knife in one place to keep it from ripping.

heatseat03.JPG

I took my switch and taped to the seat where I wanted to place it to see if it had proper clearance, it was touching the plastic in one spot but that was the lip that goes under the seat I cut a portion of it away to fit the switch, I also put it far enough back that it would not scrap against my leg or the pillions legs. Here is where I drilled, left side (free hand).

heatseat04.JPG

The switch comes with what looks like a switch blade for a paddle, I cut the top off and took a Dremel stone to it to round it off.

heatseat05.JPG

Drill a hole for the wires

heatseat06.JPG

Here is the extra piece of foam I added and the element on top, sizing and placement.

heatseat07.JPG

I tested the foam with some contact cement to make sure it doesn't eat it, then slathered both sides and glued the element on, and glued the extra foam to the old foam.

heatseat08.JPG

I cut a sheet of aluminum foil to help spread out the heat over a larger area of the seat.

heatseat09.JPG

I spliced some wires together and soldiered them to the switch, taped it all up with electrical tape.

heatseat10.JPG

I marked the part of the lip on the plastic I need to cut away, used the Dremel wheel for that.

I had some button self tapping screws I used to fasten the leather back on, I used the rivet heads over again to act as washers.

The little button is the switch, the leather was already torn on the seat below it, Now it has hi off lo switch. It uses 20 watts on hi and about 12 watts on lo. Gets hot fast and you have to switch to lo or your butt gets too hot. HEH :D

• Member Contributer

Miguel,   Super-slick installation as always.   And good write-up too.

I know Corbin makes heated seats, and now there's the 'Slammer version, so I've got to ask if it's really helpful keeping warm or improves riding comfort.    I've never noticed my butt getting cold, and when I ride in cold weather I've got a lot of gear on so I'm not sure how much of the heat would get thru.  

Not intended as any criticism, I'm genuinely curious about how it works.   Thanks.

• Forum CEO

It works too good actually, too hot on hi. It heats up faster through. ?I was going to tear it open anyway and put some more stuffing in there since it has gotten worn. ?Why not try somthing like that? ?No offence taken Leo, just customizing my bike again.

It is very comfortable on lo, nice little extra bit of warmth.  somtimes I ride from Denver to Home and there is a section near a river that somtimes gets down to 25 degrees my lower hamstrings and butt for some reason feel the bite of the cold?

• 4 years later...