Pulse Issues, Poor Fuel Mileage

YoshiHNS

• Member Contributer

getting around to fixing my VFR again after a week running a camp. First thought was that the carbs were causing one cylinder to be rich and the other to be lean. Carbs are in perfect condition. So I search around the 96 manual and search for inspecting the pulse generators and coils and all the electricals. So I turn the key on to check for proper voltage in places. After about 10 minutes, I get a voltage of 4V, then I get a huge resistance of 400Mohm across the ICM ground to terminal. Confused, i check voltage across the battery and its 4V, and all the lights on the dash are out. Great. So I'm making this thread, posting what I find. If anyone sees a familiar problem chime in. Going to start from the ICM and work my way around.

• Member Contributer

First with the ICM.

gallery_12591_3544_54622.jpg

ICM.jpg

Going through the checklist I found lots of problems

gallery_12591_3544_253263.jpg

ICM list.jpg

And after recharging my battery, I measured the voltage with the key on and the kill switch to run, and the voltage was dropping about .04V a second, and got faster the lower the voltage got. So somewhere I have a serious ground leak, which would explain the relay blowing. Still doesn't quite explain how the bike was able to run right a week ago, so I'm on the hunt for my voltage leak.

The 306 ohms sort of checks out. From the ICM, the resistance i found is wrong. But it is the same resistance I found at the coils. And that value is the correct measurement for resistance at the coils. A little confused on whats going on there.

So the R/Y wire is no good. So I print me out the electrical diagram, and it leads to two places. One is the Fuel Cutout Relay. Big suprise there, but nice that I found the problem. Second is the 4th ignition coil. That one is suprising since I don't have a problem with that cylinder I am aware of. Now time to follow the other problems.

Sorry to hear it, dude. My 86 is running badly as well, unfortunately, but it's a fuel issue this time, i think. Are you back in Rochester? How are things? Good luck with the bike.

• Member Contributer

back in cleveland, but i'll end up in rochester for a weekend to take care of some business.

another issue is that someone is selling a mint 99 SV650, but dad says no until i get this bike going. Was going to sell it once this thing was reliable, but oh well, another dry year for me.

• Member Contributer

got my K&N in today so I installed it. Now I just need to install the plugs and the bike should fire over.

Went over the list above again after tearing out all the farkles I put in. Everything is better now. Voltage is not dropping uncontrolably, which could just be the fact that I pulled the headlight fuse. But I have a lower resistance between green and ground, as well as light green and ground. Not sure if it should be a perfect connection, but now my resistance is only 30 as apposed to half a million.

So the new list is like this

gallery_12591_3544_303672.jpg

ICM list.jpg

going to test my coils now, and then search for my ground leak. The leak has to be somewhere right off the battery. Only way I see it being common to all things that should have a solid ground.

• Member Contributer

so i was looking at my #4 coil, and what would you know, it was unplugged. Easy fix there. So now my only concern is why I have a high resistance on the neutral line, and if my other resistance values are correct.

• Member Contributer

ok, so very interesting. With my oddball resistance. If I go to the battery, I get the high values, but if I go to the frame or any other ground, its almost 0. So thats stuff is out of the way. Now trying to get a compression test done. Had to buy a new compression tester since no one had an adapter for our small plugs. Problem now is that I could only get the darn thing in on one cylinder. Compression was 120 kpa. I've heard that value before, but I've also heard that you should get 200kpa, but that was at 400rpm, which doesn't make much sense to me. So I have to get three more cylinders checked and I might have a running bike again. :pissed:

From your first posts I was going to say coil grounding issue but it seems that I was only half right. A little over a year ago I had disassembled my bike and while reinstalling the gas tank I dropped the nut of the bolt that goes through the rear of the tank. Since I was in a pinch I decided not to worry about it since the bolt couldn't come out. After that the bike never would run right, especially at extended periods of high RPM usage. Eventually I figured out that that nut held the coil to the ground. Put a new one on there and have had no other problems since. As far as getting rid of the VFR for a SV, I would be careful, great are both bikes, I've put lots of miles on each. If I had to pick only one though I would go with the VFR, that's just me though. If you sell the VFR though you should trade me carbs before you do.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, the fuel tank bolt fell off too. Noticed it when I actually broke down in CO. Didn't even think of that being the ground. So that would mean that my bike was running off of three cylinders on the way there, and one once I got there. Geez.

Anyways, I screwed up bigtime just now. Well, partly me, and partly the fact that the compression kit didn't think of this. So I tested the compression on one cylinder. 120psi, not kpa. So after walking away for a bit, come back and try and get another cylinder, and got it. Two problems though. First, is that the compression was only 30psi, which indicated a fairly major problem. Second is that the adaptor is now stuck in that cylinder, and I don't have a bolt to pull it out with. Not even sure how I would get it out. Maybe some loc-tite, but that can get messy. So I'm just sitting here feeling like an idiot, and worse now that I know I have a major problem. When will it end??

• Member Contributer

so i gave up on doing a compression test since I couldnt get the darn thing in there tight enough to actually get a good seal. So i'll either make an adaptor or just have my service guy do a test if he has the tools.

Anyways, I'm just going to assume I don't have a leak. I checked my spark plugs and coils, and I'm still having a problem with my 4th coil. No spark. Plugs is good, resistance from R/Y to end of plug boot is good. Resistance from power to R/Y is good. Everything checks out, but still no go.

Archived