Ignition Switch Wiring Diagram

Guest Doch80

Guest Doch80

Does anybody know where I can get a closer view of the wiring schematics for the ignition switch on a 2003 VFR... or 2002+ for that matter? I've downloaded the service manual from the site, but if I zoom in to the ignition on the wiring diagram, I can't make out everything clearly enough to give me a warm and fuzzy.

I'm installing an alarm... myself... and that's really the only question I have about all the wiring. When I break her open, a few more questions might pop up but everything else seems to be pretty easy to follow.

Or if any one nows where the 4 color-coded wires go from the ignition, that'd work just as well!

I'd appriciate it! Thanks!

Chad :huh:

• Member Contributer

Hello:

Well, this MAY help. I have a Haynes Manual for my bike (an '89). The Haynes manual for that vintage covers from '86 through '97. It is complete with wiring diagrams for all the models, US, UK, European.

So, this is all to say, I ASSUME the Haynes Manual for your vintage / generation too would have wiring diagrams.

At the very least, it is a handy item to have.

rctwentyfour

Yeah, you're probably right, I should get one. I was trying to go the free route first just in case anyone had some prior exp with such things. Thanks for the idea though.

On the instructions, they have four wires coming from the ignition: Battery, Ground, ACC Output, Ignition Disable. I'm trying to match up the four wires that come from the VFR's ignition. For the bike, I think I've come up with" Bu/O is Fan, R/BL is Ignition, R is Battery, P... don't know what this wire is but it goes to the computer.... I think.

I'm thinking I'll match up Battery with Battery, ACC Output with Fan, and Ignition Disable with Ignition.

Does this sound right? Any help will be greatly appriciated.

Chad

Well, after looking around, I found a link to a schematic but it is from a European VFR... wondering if they are all that different... I know they have passing lights and all that jazz. Or at least I think they do. The wire colors match compared to the service manual... that's a start!

Anyways, the site has been linked to before (when discussing fairing removel) so I'm guessing the originator won't mind the extra traffic if you want to take a peek. It's actually a pretty good wiring diagram if it matches us here in the US...

Website Home Page

Wiring Diagram

For scoops and poops I'm going to post the instructions for the alarm (small diagram) and which wires I'm going to connect on the bike... that way any passer-by who just so opens this post can either not say anything or tell me I've got things completely "not right"... or I might have it right, who knows.... I have a geography degree, not electronic... :fing02:

Unfortunatley I've got plenty of time to think about it. I just had my appendix taken out the other day and can't ride or do any wrenching. Yesterday, I disconnected my O2 sensors, installed resistors, and plugged the holes... shouldn't have done that... took a little effort to remove them... didn't feel all that great but I had to finish... all that to say, I've got a few more days to keep thinking things through.

Cheers!

Chad

Howdy all.

As I said, below is the instructions for the alarm. I’ll hook up the wires as such:

bikepics-1326747-800.jpg

Here is the plan for all the wires.

Alarm : Bike

Red Wire : Red wire coming from ignition

Brown Wire : Bu/O wire which should be the Fan wire from ignition

Pink : R/BL wire which should be the ignition wire going to the ignition

Grey : R/BL wire which should be the other half of the ignition wire going to the fusebox

Blue : Maybe the Yellow/Red wire at the start switch? Not quite sure about this one yet.

Yellow 1 : Left blinker wire (Positive)

Yellow 2 : Right blinker wire (Positive)

Black : Ground on the bike somewhere

So far that’s how I imagined it going. I need to find out which wire is the hot wire for the blinkers. I was looking at it and didn’t realize the blinkers had 3 wires. My last two bikes just had two.

Again, if anybody has any helpful comments or constructive critisim I’d be happy to hear about them!

Thanks for the help!

Chad

Archived