5th Gen Tire Pressure Dunlop Qualifier

Guest kentd98

Guest kentd98

Hi all,

I just got off the phone with Dunlop and they said 36f/42r for the cold tire pressures for the Qualifier on a 99 VFR. According to a friend that I ride with, I would get much better traction with lower tire pressures.

What do you recommend?

I'm 140lbs without gear. Stock suspension.

I'm a noob when it comes to setting motorcycle tire pressures, so I would appreciate some help!

Thanks,

Kent

I would basically run the stock 36/42 on every tire, this usually provide the longest life. IF you experience a grip problem on one end or both, then drop a 1-2lb and test ride. :biggrin:

PS replace that front as soon as it's starts to Cup and it will! :unsure:

Question 1: So what if you did a track day. There is a local go kart track that I'm planning on going to this summer to work on my technique. Would you still run 36/42?

Question 2: What if I care about maximizing grip rather than maximizing tread life? Would you still run 36/42?

Kent

• Member Contributer

Your friend is correct that lower pressure will provide more grip (up to a point). Lower pressure allows the carcass to flex more, producing more heat, as well as a larger contact patch.

Because of the VFR's hefty weight, it will heat tires up more and wear them out faster than other, lighter sport bikes, hence the 36/42 recommendation from Honda.

For track use 32/30 f/r or thereabouts should work well. This will get you lots of grip, but with extremely rapid tire wear.

Question 2: What if I care about maximizing grip rather than maximizing tread life? Would you still run 36/42?

Kent

There is no reason to look for more grip with lower pressures if your running good rubber in the first place IMO. If you want maximum grip then buy Corsa's, Corsa III's, M-3's, or if you want the most grip and tire life combined run Pilot Powers. I just switched to a Road 2 rear with a Power front.

I ride faster than most people, live in the twisties, run Pilot Powers (Road 2 rear now) and have never had a grip issue running the stock 36/42 pressures in the last 40,000 miles. Now if i was running tires that didn't grip as well as Powers I might drop the pressure to help with grip, but I choose to run better tires in the first place. :rolleyes:

Baileyrock and jeremy,

Thanks for the info. Its exactly what I needed.

I bought the bike June 2007 and the PO had just installed new Dunlop Qualifiers, so I'm riding what the bike came with for now. I will probably lower the pressures down from 36/42 just to see what difference it makes. I don't ride long distances so I'm not too concerned with tire life. I'd rather have the extra traction provided by the lower pressure. Plus I need to burn through these Dunlop's. :huh:

Next time around I'll probably get the Pilot Powers as I'm a Michelin guy.

Thanks again,

Kent

Archived