Saddle Options

Guest Jeff66

Question

Guest Jeff66

Hey all, I finally got to do a nice day ride yestarday....about 250 miles through centeral / northwestern NJ, some miles up Rt 32 in PA, nice scenery along the DE river.

Anyway, about 250 miles all in all. Stock seat on the '08 is crap. This is from the same company that made my Lazy-Boy on wheels,

the first motorcycle I've had that didin't need seat work. ('03 Goldwing).

I know most of you are going to tell me Seargant. I'm partial to the Russel / Rick Meyers Saddles that I've had on my BMW's; and will

eventually either buy one of these or the Sargent. The custom saddles from RMC are just that, custom. They take your physical attributes and

craft a seat to fit your postierior. But they are pricey and take time to build. For right now I just want an inexpensive, quick and dirty solution. Anybody tried any of these Airhawk seat pads or or some of the other stuff that's on the market for such issue?

thanks

Jeff

7 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Goldwing, BMW, if you can afford the seat you want then I wouldn't comprimise on cheaper solutions that won't work. It's a total waste of money. Get the seat you want and consider all the money you didn't spend on quick solutions as your discount.

That said consider wearing padded or un-padded compression style athletic shorts under your leathers. Base-ball sliding shorts are another option. Try to find roads that allow you hang off more often. The VFR has a big advantage on these types of roads over the GW and BMW. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
Just remember you always get what you pay for, go cheap and your butt will let you know about it

Big plus one on this one.

Go with BillMayerSaddles.com. Very quick turnaround, and it's custom built for you like Rick's, but with a much better rep for quality. That's who did mine. Spend the money and get it custom built - you'll be glad you did, and it's not that much more.

• Member Contributer
Anybody tried any of these Airhawk seat pads or or some of the other stuff that's on the market for such issue?

I used an Airhawk on my trip to AK (9,950 miles in 21 days), while my riding partner had a Bill Mayer seat. Although mine was cheaper it satisfied the same as his. I haven't used it on the Viffer, but it worked great on a Concours.

I used an airhawk on the VFR. It is a good solution IMO. Helps with hot days. Just be careful not to over tighten the straps (mine broke) and be aware that the straps can rub paint off.

Archived