Olympia Ast

Flightar

• Member Contributer

Do any of you that have this jacket find that the sleeves are cut really long?

• Member Contributer
Do any of you that have this jacket find that the sleeves are cut really long?

I have the Hi-Viz Yellow AST jacket, and the Phantom Suit.......due to large chest/ shoulder size I have to wear a large, but I'm only 5'7", so yes, for me, the sleeves are cut long. The medium actually fit well in sleeve length for me, just way too tight in the upper body.......... :fing02:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well I sent my AST back for a refund. The first (and only) ride I took this jacket on I got rained on...within 5-10 minutes my entire chest and stomach was wet. :mad: I made sure that all of the vents were fully closed and all storm flaps were secured well before I got into the rain too. I really wanted to like the jacket because I have read quite a bit about how good it is and it vents really well in hot weather to boot. But, I can't have a jacket that leaks in the rain...so I guess I'll make a call to Aerostitch and get a Darien.

• Member Contributer

My Wife and I have never gotten wet in ours, even in pouring rain. Rode to Franklin, NC for a T-Mac scouting trip (273 miles) all the way in the rain.....never got damp....rode in the rain on Saturday at T-Mac, no dampness....... :blink:

Mine gets worn every day to work in all kinds of weather without issue. Only time I ever had any leakage was once I didn't have the left sleeve vent flap sealed good.....stopped, sealed it better and continued on dry. I have the Phantom one piece suit also...never leaked, and more comfy on long extended trips than the 2pc. AST jacket and pants. The magazine testers stayed dry also, unless they didn't spend a little time "sealing em' up perfect. Hate you had issues..... :mad: Mine has served me well.......... :fing02:

Well I sent my AST back for a refund. The first (and only) ride I took this jacket on I got rained on...within 5-10 minutes my entire chest and stomach was wet. :mad: I made sure that all of the vents were fully closed and all storm flaps were secured well before I got into the rain too. I really wanted to like the jacket because I have read quite a bit about how good it is and it vents really well in hot weather to boot. But, I can't have a jacket that leaks in the rain...so I guess I'll make a call to Aerostitch and get a Darien.

I know this is an old thread, but what did Olympia have to say about the jacket not keeping you dry?

• Member Contributer

I talked to the owner about it and all he said was, "It should not have leaked." He was very nice about it and appologized for the poor performance of the jacket but was at a loss as to why it leaked. He offered to send me a new one but if that one didn't work out then I'd be stuck with it so a refund was the best option...unless the second jacket worked as advertized that is. BTW: Customer service was really good.

Like I said I really wanted to like the jacket because it did vent really well, looked good and seemed to be put together well...shame it leaked though, Maybe I just got a bad one. However, the sleeves were very long and the sizing seemed to be on the large side too.

I might buy another one later as a hot weather jacket and see how that one does. I will be ordering a Darien soon though.

• Member Contributer
I talked to the owner about it and all he said was, "It should not have leaked." He was very nice about it and appologized for the poor performance of the jacket but was at a loss as to why it leaked. He offered to send me a new one but if that one didn't work out then I'd be stuck with it so a refund was the best option...unless the second jacket worked as advertized that is. BTW: Customer service was really good.

Like I said I really wanted to like the jacket because it did vent really well, looked good and seemed to be put together well...shame it leaked though, Maybe I just got a bad one. However, the sleeves were very long and the sizing seemed to be on the large side too.

I might buy another one later as a hot weather jacket and see how that one does. I will be ordering a Darien soon though.

Yeah, I understand how a "bad experience" with a particular item taints you. I've had 2 poor results out of Joe Rocket leather jackets....will never own another one. I like their textile stuff, but ICON has been my most durable leather jackets. My Olympia stuff so far, though has been the best "All Season, Year Round" gear I've owned for encountering every element (Tn riding can give you at least one taste of everything during a sun-up to sun-down ride in Fall and Spring) during a long day's ride......... :fing02: Sorry about your bad experience... :goofy: I hope I never do a report on the Olympia's safety factor.............. :mad:

Thanks for the response back. I am glad to hear that it vents so well. My Cycleport stuff is not the mesh Kevlar and I was looking into getting the Olympia stuff as my last suit was the Olympia Airglide.

Be sure to let us know if the Darien ends up leaking for some reason too. Stranger things have happened. :mad:

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Here's the update: My Darien has been flawless and I use it every day regardless of the heat in FL. I rode through a torrential downpour and didn't get wet at all except for a little bit of water down the collar...dripped off of the helmet.

I am thinking about getting another AST though, for hot weather use. I'm not very big on mesh jackets and during the summer the Stitch does get a bit toasty around town...although with the vents open and at freeway speed its tolerable.

Archived