Pciii Serial V. Pciii Usb

SGVridgerunner

• Member Contributer

Hello,

I'm trying to contain my frustration. I purchased a PCIII serial (didn't know there was a difference at the time) off Ebay about a month ago. I just installed it tonight. I downloaded Cozye's map and software version 3.2.1 off of Dyno jet's website. I pull up Cozye's map, hook up the serial port to the PCIII, and...nothing.

It's not seeing the PCIII. Is the unit too old for the updated software? That doesn't make any sense as the new version is the only one for download on DJ's website. The unit came with the old software, but I can't load Cozye's map onto it. I figured the only difference between the two is the interface, I mean it's still a PCIII.

Any suggestions?

• Forum CEO

First off You have the key on or a 9 volt power adaptor hooked up to the PC3?? It needs to be key on to work (obvious questions first the PC should light up when it on) the unit will not be detected if its not powered on. Second If it doesnt see the pc3 its not because of the map its either a power issue or a driver issue. Perhaps your serial cable needs a driver? I have a usb to serial cable that I had to fiddle with for an hour or so before I found the correct driver for it, then blammo the PC showed up on the power commander screen.

• Member Contributer

Same as what HS said, make sure the power is on first and that you have the proper software installed on your PC. I had problems loading it once with my Macbook and I had to switch to my PC. Since I downloaded the latest updates, it worked fine.

• Member Contributer

I went thru that issue too. What i found was: 1) the USB to Serial converting cable (bought new) wouldn't work. I had to use serial port to serial port. 2) When the program started up it would automatically use the wrong serial comm port - you have pick and change to the correct port at the top of the screen, then they start communicating. 3) If you have the new and the old version of the software you can copy/paste the map from the new version to the old (and save it) if you can't get it to load. Takes a bit of playing around but it works.

The end result, for me, was the coyze map made the bike pull noticably stronger from mid range all the way up. The downside was it brought in some constant throttle surging which i found to be pretty annoying and the fuel consumption went way up . The surging might be addressed by playing with the map numbers but i haven't tried yet.

Keep trying, you should be able to get it to work.

• Member Contributer

Power's on, unit lights up. I'm running serial to serial.

I'm not very good with computers, even though I know how to assign com ports, I believe my computer only has one choice for serial. I don't know. I was going to get a USB-serial adaptor today, but after reading that you guys had problems with it, maybe I won't and save the cash.

I'm glad no one jumped in and said "You have the wrong PCIII" so at least it's not a software dating issue. I started the bike up with the map that came loaded on it (previous owner) and it runs like crap, but at least I have no FI light, so it works.

• Member Contributer

I'm not very good with computers, even though I know how to assign com ports, I believe my computer only has one choice for serial. I don't know. I was going to get a USB-serial adaptor today, but after reading that you guys had problems with it, maybe I won't and save the cash.

Your computer may only have one "physical" serial port on it, but in the dynojet software one of the menus at the top gives you the option to change to different numbered ports (internally - for lack of a better explaination). As soon as i did that the bike and computer started talking - you'll see the rpm, throttle position and other info will come up (with bike running), and you'll be able to load the maps. I'm no whiz with computers either and it took some screwing about with it, but sounds like you're not far off.

• Member Contributer

Your computer may only have one "physical" serial port on it, but in the dynojet software one of the menus at the top gives you the option to change to different numbered ports (internally - for lack of a better explaination). As soon as i did that the bike and computer started talking - you'll see the rpm, throttle position and other info will come up (with bike running), and you'll be able to load the maps. I'm no whiz with computers either and it took some screwing about with it, but sounds like you're not far off.

You're talking about "Hub Configuration" under "Power Commander Tools" right? Yeah, it's grey, I can't select it, I can't even ctrl+H it. It seems that any command dealing with the PCIII unit is greyed out, I can only mess with maps.

I've tried the first 10 COM ports on my device manager. I've tried to search for new hardware, and I've tried to update teh drivers for each COM port - nothing. I'm so pissed! :fing02: I spend all day installing stuff, only to be bested by some stupid computer glitch.

• Member Contributer

Alright, I'm both enlightened and really confused right now.

Just for s***s and giggles, I loaded the older version of the software (2.27.blah, blah, blah). BAM, instant communication! Ok, now to load Cozye's map - no luck, loading error, file is not supported in this version. Now everything is making sense - it all referrs back to my orginal question - my PCIII serial is NOT compatible with the PCIII USB. Different software, different language.

Here is where I get really confused, is everyone who is running Cozye's map running a USB? The way everyone was talking, it sounded like it would work on any version. Can this file be converted to the old version?

Oh well, at least I got it cheap!

• Member Contributer
well you may have to copy the map line by line

Yeah, that's what I did. Didn't take too long. Started her up this morning - idles great, no more PAIR pop. :biggrin:

Took it out for a 25 mile test - full throttle acceleration is great, top end is lacking a little from what I expected, but I have some different mods, so I'm figuring some dyno time is in order. There is still a VTEC surge at part throttle, but it's not as bad as it used to be. And the midrange - WHOA THE MIDRANGE!! :beer: Between the map and the PP2CT's, this bike feels like it weighs 300 lbs. The front wheel was threatening to come up while leaning in third!

The main difference in Cozye's true map and my copied map is that the PCIIIUSB has a resolution of 250rpms, whereas my PCIII is limited to 500rpm increments. So there is probably more smoothness to be had. I'm still debateing if I should sell this PCIII and get a USB. I'll give it a few months and see.

Even still, Cozye's map got me back on the road, and I'm enjoying the throttle response. So per his request, I'll donate to the site.

Now, to sum up for those who do a search - The PCIII and PCIIIUSB are NOT compatable. They are two completely different products.

Archived