97 ..... Main Fuse ?/

Guest jcw97vfr

Guest jcw97vfr

Hello, I have a 1997 VFR750..... finally got to put the battery in it yestarday. The clock comes on after the battery is hooked up....... Turn the key .... Clock goes out and no: lights on dash, horn, fuel pump, head or tail lights ...... turn the key off..... clock resets to 1:00. I can't get the main fuse by the battery apart to check it. I have the ignition switch un-bolted doesn't look like it come apart ......... Local dealer says 2 weeks to get in ....... any help......

Chris

Akron,Ohio

Has the bike undergone a rebuild/restoration?

The main fuse (located on the engine start relay) should pull out with a pair of pliers. The multi-pin plug that fits to it is known to deteriorate (melting, burning) so check it out.

The ignition switch (I assume you mean the key switch) should be ok. The start button might benefit from being dismantled and cleaned.

Unfortunately the symptoms are typical of reg/rec failure.

Has the bike undergone a rebuild/restoration?

The main fuse (located on the engine start relay) should pull out with a pair of pliers. The multi-pin plug that fits to it is known to deteriorate (melting, burning) so check it out.

The ignition switch (I assume you mean the key switch) should be ok. The start button might benefit from being dismantled and cleaned.

Unfortunately the symptoms are typical of reg/rec failure.

Nope No rebuild ..... New r/r about 10,000 miles ago (31243 on it now) .... Had a hard time getting the starter relay and the plug apart only to find a melt down!!!!!! Have a new starter relay on order (3-5 business days) and go from there. In the mean time i will open the starter button and kill switch and clean them both( thanks for the tip).

Archived