Swapping Coils?

douglasthecook

Question

Does anyone with electrical knowledge know if it would be possible to replace 4th Gen coils with 5th Gen coils? I suppose the first question that should be asked is do the 5th Gen have the coils on the plug wire, stick coils I believe is what they are called. Just curious, as this is something that I have been wondering about to update my 4th Gen with if possible.

3 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

hmm, well... i guess it would depend on how much voltage is needed to supply the coil (primary side) and how much voltage is needed to fire the plug (secondary side). Also are they both the same Ignition system? What type of system does the 4th gen have? I can help you with the 5th gen, but i have no info about the bits and pieces of a 4th gen.

And no, the 5th gen has a coil with a single lead and plug cap... Not quite as sophistimacated as a 6th gen stick or coil over plug style.

Does anyone with electrical knowledge know if it would be possible to replace 4th Gen coils with 5th Gen coils? I suppose the first question that should be asked is do the 5th Gen have the coils on the plug wire, stick coils I believe is what they are called. Just curious, as this is something that I have been wondering about to update my 4th Gen with if possible.

With a lot of wire cutting, splicing, and general bastardizing. However there would be no point as the stock coils work flawlessly

Yeah, I know, but the wires leading into my coils are showing their age, and I'd like to replace them before they break all together. I figure if I'm going to be doing some replacement I might as well upgrade. PReferrably I'd like the newer stick coils, but am not sure how possible it would be.

Archived