First Ride On My Vfr...and A Scary One

Guest hyphen

AH,yes we welcome another VFR addict to the scene. Take your time and ride at your own pace and live to ride another day.

So I hopped on my bike for the first time. I've never been on the street but I got my permit and passed my basic riding course with msf. My friend asked if I wanted to go "putt" around last night. I agreed since I've been really anxious to ride. Wow was I in for a surprise.

His idea of "putting" around involved going onto a freeway then straight onto a canyon to the beach, make a round-about back to another canyon that lead back to his garage...at 9:30pm. May I remind you that this is my first time on the road, let alone on this 500lb bike. I probably did everything that a first time rider SHOULDN'T do. Granted, I took it slow in the canyons and I had 2 very experienced riders to my front and back, still. Not to mention there were strong gusts of wind that were pushing me around and almost made me cut a corner short.

Though, I have to say that I didn't regret it one bit. I know now what the addiction is. Feeling the cool canyon air, the beach smell...amazing. In case anyone is wondering, we went through Topanga Canyon to Malibu and then cut back through Las Virgenes.

I did surprisingly well for a first timer, I think. But it's definitely not something I would recommend.

Grats on your first ride. A lot of people have already responded with good advice. I fully agree with "ride your own ride" which means that even if you're in a group, they aren't forcing you to ride the way you are. You're in control of your bike. If you aren't comfortable, don't feel pressured into riding the way they are. If you are getting pressured, you shouldn't be riding with them, period.

I have my own story about not riding my own ride, in fact it was the first time I laid down my shiny new VFR. If you want crash pictures for incentive, let me know. :idea3:

Slow and easy is the key. Good luck!

Archived