1991 To 1994 Forks? Straight Swap?

Guest ssray

Hi, I have aquired a 1991 vfr with bent forks and i have been offered a set of 94 forks that are straight-will they bolt straight on? i know they are both 41mm but i need to know if the calipiers,mudguard etc will bolt onto the later forks,then when i have the orig ones straight and fetteled i can put them back on.

Cheers Ray

• Member Contributer

I'm 99.99% sure they will fit. I'm willing to bet the only difference is that the 4th gen ones may or may not have the fork oil drain bolt. Mine don't, but other's forks have them.

• Member Contributer

One thing is true - they are both 41mm forks, with a 3.5x17 front wheel.

The 3rd gen VFRs (1990-1993) have fixed brake rotors, where the 4th gens (1994-1997) have floating rotors (or somewhat-floating rotors, compared to the rotors from a racebike).

On the 4th gen VFRs, the speedometer reads from the countershaft sprocket cover.

I don't know about the 3rd gen (1990-1993), tho - so you may want to check to see if you have a speedometer cable reading from the bottom of the fork.

And, as far as the fork oil drain plug bolt goes, my understanding is that the early 4th gens have them but the later 4th gens do not.

HTH,

Ron

• Member Contributer
I don't know about the 3rd gen (1990-1993), tho - so you may want to check to see if you have a speedometer cable reading from the bottom of the fork.

No. Later forks have the "super-duper high-tech" preload adjustment the early forks lacked, and then there was the disappearing oil drain screw you don't need anyway. Same cartridge design--you're good to go.

Ciao,

Archived