Preventing The Seat From Moving

Guest hougy

Question

I noticed that my seat can move about half an inch even when it is locked down. Anyone have any modifications to have it stay in place? I was thinking about getting some rubber sleeves and putting it on the rails to make it harder for it to move around so easily, but I was wondering if anyone else has the same issue and what they have done.

10 answers to this question

I don't have a 5th gen but I would bet that something is broken or installed wrong. I've never seen a bike that had that much movement in a seat.

You did not say if it was a stock seat or not. I have a corbin on my bike and the lock catch on the bottom of the seat is adjustable and if the two bolts that secure the steel plate to the seat are loose you would have excessive movement of the seat.

• Member Contributer

All of the above. No my 6thgen., I have a Sargent. It's rock solid, but my tubing is pretty busted up. (going to replace it, that's just me).

Little more info would help. A pic or two, wouldn't hurt, either. :thumbsup:

It shoudn't move. I think it is the loose bolts theory cited above. For some reason, I have to routinely tighten the bolts that hold the seat latch mechanism. Although it (Corbin) doesn't move as you describe, it will fail to latch properly when the bolts are loose.

• Member Contributer
I noticed that my seat can move about half an inch even when it is locked down. Anyone have any modifications to have it stay in place? I was thinking about getting some rubber sleeves and putting it on the rails to make it harder for it to move around so easily, but I was wondering if anyone else has the same issue and what they have done.

Which direction does it move? Left-right or up-down or backward-forward?

Sorry my ship was out at sea this week and our internet is slower than a mushy snail.

It moves front and back (towards and away from gas tank). It is a stock seat and there are no screws anywhere that you mentioned (Except at the front by the gas tank, it holds a bracket)

• Member Contributer

Interesting. I think your first intuition may be the way to go. Any 5th genners have the answer to the question: Do the 5th gen seat pegs have rubber tubing on them from the factory? 6th gens do. Hougy, I assume that yours do not.

Interesting. I think your first intuition may be the way to go. Any 5th genners have the answer to the question: Do the 5th gen seat pegs have rubber tubing on them from the factory? 6th gens do. Hougy, I assume that yours do not.

No mine do not. Guess I'll be making a run to home dept and see what I can do

• Member Contributer

NO ONE can answer post no.9? Come on folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived