Tires - Balancing at home

• Forum CEO

As you May know I change my own tires, up till now I just used a set of jack stands to balance my wheels. But I converted an outside gardening bench into a balancing stand VFR Wheel Adapter

The inside diameter of the hole is about 2" I found a 1 1/2 inch bushing (inside diameter) that fit just perfect, tap it in with a hammer and I am good to go.

balance01.jpg

One end of the bushing was smooth the other was threaded so I found some adapters that had 3/4" threads on the inside, and 2 end caps with 3/4" threads on each end, I used a 5/8" bore bit to cut a perfect sized hole for the 5/8" rod washers and bolts. ?I have it set out how it fits together.

balance02.jpg

The Bench

I cut a U shaped hole in the bench and reinforced it with 2x4s and put legs on the ends, leveled the table and screwed the legs on.

Here are the screen door wheels I used to let the rod turn freely, its just 4 sliding door wheels screwed into a 2 x 2 block of wood on each side.

balance03.jpg

balance04.jpg

balance05.jpg

I had to chisel out some wood to keep the rod from rubbing, it sort of screws side to side but not so much I cant get a good balance.

Here you can see how the adapter is used

balance06.jpg

The endcap on the right screw thru the hole in the wheel and it is all tightned down with the bolts on the rod.

balance07.jpg

Total cost for the hardware $18, bench was already there, the extra lumber was too. Home Depot, Sorry Lewis the post doubled up on me so I erased that one, with the questions you asked, I believe they are all answered now.

I just use the rod to tap out the adaptor when I am done a few gentle taps ?thru the hole and it comes out the other side.