Chatterbox Battery Alternative?

Asphalt_Pilot

I'm trying to find a battery alternative for my Chatterbox X1 GMRS/FRS unit. I'd just order one on-line, but I'm planning a trip this weekend with a friend and was going to loan him my 2nd Chatterbox to use, but the battery pack is stone-dead and won't take a charge.

The Chatterbox uses a battery pack that is shrink-wrapped together. I thought it might be simply some AA-sized rechargable NiMH batteries, but when I took off the covering it turned out to be an assembly of four odd-shaped batteries.

The batteries are NiMH, about 5/8" diameter by 1" long (17mm x 22mm). I believe they are each 1.2V, since the markings on the pack indicated 4.8V. At this point I'm planning on heading to the local Radio Shack to see if I can pick up some replacements and wire them together along with the lead and plug from the existing battery pack.

Anyone have any other ideas?

If I can't find them, I guess I'll just order a replacement from Newenough.com. They have them at a reasonable price, about $13 I think.

• Member Contributer
I'm trying to find a battery alternative for my Chatterbox X1 GMRS/FRS unit. I'd just order one on-line, but I'm planning a trip this weekend with a friend and was going to loan him my 2nd Chatterbox to use, but the battery pack is stone-dead and won't take a charge.

The Chatterbox uses a battery pack that is shrink-wrapped together. I thought it might be simply some AA-sized rechargable NiMH batteries, but when I took off the covering it turned out to be an assembly of four odd-shaped batteries.

The batteries are about 5/8" diameter by 1" long (17mm x 22mm). At this point I'm planning on heading to the local Radio Shack to see if I can pick up some replacements and wire them together along with the lead and plug from the existing battery pack.

Anyone have any other ideas?

If I can't find them, I guess I'll just order a replacement from Newenough.com. They have them at a reasonable price, about $13 I think.

I'm sure you won't have it by the weekend, but at least you'll have a new battery. Do you have the 12 volt charger, the one you can wire up to your bike and charge the chatterbox on the road? I'm not sure but maybe you could put the bad battery in the one that is hooked up to the charger and run it like that. I bet you could make a charger easier than making the battery pack and with less possibility of frying the chatterbox if the battery voltages were different. I have the on bike charger if you need specs, of course it would be the same as the home charger.

I'm sure you won't have it by the weekend, but at least you'll have a new battery. Do you have the 12 volt charger, the one you can wire up to your bike and charge the chatterbox on the road? I'm not sure but maybe you could put the bad battery in the one that is hooked up to the charger and run it like that.

I don't think that works -- I've tried it before. I have the on-board power supply on my bike and my wife's, and rarely use the c-box on battery alone. I guess the on-board power supply must work through the battery somehow, though, since the unit won't work if the batteries are toast, even with the external supply connected. :blink:

Good suggestion, though. Maybe I'll try it again, just to see if I did something wrong the last time I tried it. I've learned to never assume I did something right if it doesn't work out!

Thanks

Chatter Box had a series of defective batteries that they replaced for free, can't remember if it's the light green or dark green battery packs that are faulty. That won't help you now, if it was earlier in the week I could send you one.

:blink:

Chatter Box had a series of defective batteries that they replaced for free, can't remember if it's the light green or dark green battery packs that are faulty. That won't help you now, if it was earlier in the week I could send you one.

Hey Bailey thanks for the thought, anyway.

Well, looks like I got lucky with my other unit -- the battery actually took a charge :D And my original unit has a good replacement pack that I bought earlier. I didn't think this one would take the charge, but I left it in overnight and it looks like it is working!

Thanks for the info on the defective batteries -- I hadn't heard that. The battery that was bad was definitely in a green shrink wrap case. I doubt they would honor it anyway, as it is well over a year old. Plus their manual states that to preserve batteries, you should perform a discharge/recharge cycle once every 30 days. Of course I didn't do that -- especially in the off-season! I mean, I ride in the winter, but not usually with communicators . . . and out of sight, out of mind.

Thanks again folks.

Hey Bailey thanks for the thought, anyway.

Well, looks like I got lucky with my other unit -- the battery actually took a charge :D And my original unit has a good replacement pack that I bought earlier. I didn't think this one would take the charge, but I left it in overnight and it looks like it is working!

Thanks for the info on the defective batteries -- I hadn't heard that. The battery that was bad was definitely in a green shrink wrap case. I doubt they would honor it anyway, as it is well over a year old. Plus their manual states that to preserve batteries, you should perform a discharge/recharge cycle once every 30 days. Of course I didn't do that -- especially in the off-season! I mean, I ride in the winter, but not usually with communicators . . . and out of sight, out of mind.

Thanks again folks.

Cool and have a great trip.

On the batteries, I'm pretty sure if you have any of the defective(all their batteries were green rapped, but there's a light and a dark green one's of which one is the bad batch ?) one's C/B will replace them for free not matter how old, also C/B told me Unlike what the manual says (14 plus hr charge needed or something like that) C/B said never charge them for more than 10-12hrs or they will have problems. :rolleyes:

Glad it worked out for your trip! :thumbsup:

Archived