Racing Transponder System Suggestions?

Fulch13

I'm racing MX in a semi-statewide series. We have been seeing 300+ riders on a regular basis, and a couple of 400+ days. There have been quite a few scoring errors as of late and I made the suggestion of checking into a transponder system..with the riders 'renting' the transponder for $5 or $10 per day. Of course the immediate argument is that it's too expensive and that $5 or $10 wouldn't come close to covering it.

I found a supplier online (AMB, which seems to be standard for SCCA at least) where the transponder runs $240 retail. I figured if the series was buying 200 of them at once, the discount would be pretty hefty. Then, $5 per race over a 16 race series would pay for the transponders in 2 years.

Anybody have any suggestions for a less expensive option? I haven't gotten deep into researching it, since I'm not the promoter and they'll do what they want anyway. I just thought I might be able to do a bit of the legwork.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

• Member Contributer
I'm racing MX in a semi-statewide series. We have been seeing 300+ riders on a regular basis, and a couple of 400+ days. There have been quite a few scoring errors as of late and I made the suggestion of checking into a transponder system..with the riders 'renting' the transponder for $5 or $10 per day. Of course the immediate argument is that it's too expensive and that $5 or $10 wouldn't come close to covering it.

I found a supplier online where the transponder runs $240 retail. I figured if the series was buying 200 of them at once, the discount would be pretty hefty. Then, $5 per race over a 16 race series would pay for the transponders in 2 years.

Anybody have any suggestions for a less expensive option? I haven't gotten deep into researching it, since I'm not the promoter and they'll do what they want anyway. I just thought I might be able to do a bit of the legwork.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

i think the bigger question is how much $$$$$ is the track going to pay for their system! i think serious riders would buy the units and race if that was what is required. this has been required for club members racing at WILLOW SPRINGS RACEWAY, rosemond, calif. several years!

WERA, SCCA and many other sanctioning bodies require each participant to either buy one or rent($40) one per race.

You just need to require it next season. :thumbsup:

Of course I don't know if these would survive MX anyway? :warranty:

Actually, the AMB systems are used for MX in Europe (and I would imagine, for Pro MX and SX). So they'd easily survive it. Of course, the bigger issue is how much are the racers going to stomach for it? Gate fee is $15 per person (NOT just for the racer, for everybody) and $25 per class entry fee. I know, I know...that's ridiculously cheap compared to racing an SCCA Mustang or something, but we're talking about grass-roots racing here...guys still show up with their bikes in the back of their pickup. $5 or $10 per race might swing...more than that, and there might be a mutiny.

I just wondered if there were less expensive options out there.

• Member Contributer

Mutiny, maybe. However, when two guys are neck-to-neck at the finish line don't you think they'd rather the transponder to the talking? It's not like you have a camera set-up with instant replay. Maybe a different approach might help sway the higher powers that be...

It's not that I'm necessarily trying to sway them. I think that even the promoter would agree that it's a good idea. It's just a matter of what it'd cost him (as a series) versus what it'd cost the riders, etc., etc. I mean, if the series were to tell every rider 'you have to buy this $200 transponder in order to race' I'd guarantee that the rider counts would drop through the floor. Nobody wants that...not the promoter, not the tracks (which are just participants in the series...they are not owned by the series), and certainly not the riders (most of whom, myself included, do enjoy having 30 riders on their gate as opposed to 7 or 8)

I'm just trying to figure out if anyone has used any other systems other than the AMB. The RC car transponders are MUCH cheaper, but they require power form the vehicles receiver and thus, battery pack. The ones for SCCA and MX are the rechargeable. Something with les expense, I'm thinking, would be much better received by both the racers AND the promoter/series.

Archived